cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allison Transmission leak

map40
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 Safari Sahara has a couple of small leaks in the bolts. One on a drain bolt and another one on the bolts on the front. Suggestions? Just try to tighten them up a little?

Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
6 REPLIES 6

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
Another hint as I thought mine was leaking and went through the entire process of changing everything. Turned out there was no leak on the pan. Check closely at the shift shaft those seals are very common leak points and go out all the time especially when sitting for awhile as the fluid slowly raises up to that seal and migrates all over giving an illusion of leaky bolts and pan gasket.

Allison is so proud of the gasket they claim they are infinitely reusable and after changing mine I see why. This is on a 1000mh

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Bret
right click on the image and then open in new tab.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoever serviced the trans last should have changed out the crush washer on te drain bolt (copper or aluminum). As for the other bolt? Remove it. Put some teflon paste AND tape on it. Re-install it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but I am not able to view the images.

Is the leaking bolts the ones that hold the filter covers? If so, absolutely, only apply the torque specified in the Allison filter kit instructions.

I don't have them in front of me but recall it is more than 45 inch-lbs. But the caution about over-torquing steel bolts in to aluminum is right on.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the drain bolt need a new plastic/rubber washer?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
My 2000 Safari Sahara has a couple of small leaks in the bolts. One on a drain bolt and another one on the bolts on the front. Suggestions? Just try to tighten them up a little?

Always with a inch pound torque wrench. 45 inch is all they require. Remember this a aluminum case, they strip easy.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.