Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3500 issue

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73.
I began noticing a few months ago that under very light braking...backing out of the garage and turning, I felt a jerking. I'm on the road and almost back home. It is very pronounced while pulling the 5th. Taking off from a stop and turning it acts like it's in 4 wheel drive. Sitting around the campground a couple weeks ago I mentioned it. One guy said his employer had a fleet of Rams that would do the same when in skid control and in 4x4. I turned skid control off and could tell no difference. Almost feels like a u-joint or posi trac differential clutches grabbing.
Anyone heard of this or experienced it? I'm due to visit my dealer when I get home and will get them to look.
Just rolled 50,000 miles.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^By “hubs” you all mean unit bearings, right?
Anyway, carry on. OP hasn’t provided any updates or responses to different suggestions or even narrowed down to front or rear axle afaik.

So why not argue about how Rams CAD sucks and Fords auto vacuum locking hubs also suck.
When neither would make the truck do what the Op is trying to fix even if they failed, locked in, if the truck was still in 2wd.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Ram's 4wd system disengages the front axle completely when not in use unlike the Ford system which keeps the front axle spinning at all times, but locks the hubs when power to the wheels is needed.

Fords U joints/axles only turn in 4wd. That's the beauty of having locking hubs on the front axle. There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

I stand corrected. I was under a different impression. I am not a fan of Ford's auto hub system though. Sold a lot of them back in the say when I worked at a Ford dealership and every person that I know who has them have had them fail to move the the wheels in auto. Most recently my father in law with his 2019 about a two years ago trying to get out of the sand in Port A. Same happen with my brother's 2012 multiple times. Worked great a few times, but had to get out and actually lock them most of the times.

This is why I am not a fan of auto locking hubs. Out of the hundreds of times I used my 4wd in my Ram at the farm, deer lease, and elsewhere, it has never failed. But the first time my father in law used the auto locking hubs in his new truck, he had to get out and actually lock them. Due to the design of the Ram's 4wd system, I see not need for locking hubs and an upgrade to one would be pointless unless you want to add more complexity to your system.

On my last two Super Duty's with a combined ~ +400,000 miles I never had a failure or a glitch with engaging my 4wd system, and I literally switch them to 4wd when I drive in to my hunting ranch whether it's rain or shine just to simply lube the transfer case and splash some lube around in the front diff which means I probably engaged 4wd thousands of times and never had a problem. On another Ford forum I read it's like a never reported problem.

I guess my father, father in law, brother, brother in law, wife's uncle, and multiple friends must be doing something wrong along with all those people I sold hubs to back in the day.

Edit: A quick look up of our hub sales and service from our nine Ford dealers shows that we still sell quite a few of them. If you are not having issues then that is awesome, but many still are.

There's a difference between a hub and a locker and I think you have the two confused. I've had to replace my passenger side hub a few years ago because the bearing was making a noise. The drivers side is still original with 222k miles.

Lucky you , when I priced the OE replacement, the hell with that , and replaced with two aftermarket hubs , and ended my problems .

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Ram's 4wd system disengages the front axle completely when not in use unlike the Ford system which keeps the front axle spinning at all times, but locks the hubs when power to the wheels is needed.

Fords U joints/axles only turn in 4wd. That's the beauty of having locking hubs on the front axle. There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

I stand corrected. I was under a different impression. I am not a fan of Ford's auto hub system though. Sold a lot of them back in the say when I worked at a Ford dealership and every person that I know who has them have had them fail to move the the wheels in auto. Most recently my father in law with his 2019 about a two years ago trying to get out of the sand in Port A. Same happen with my brother's 2012 multiple times. Worked great a few times, but had to get out and actually lock them most of the times.

This is why I am not a fan of auto locking hubs. Out of the hundreds of times I used my 4wd in my Ram at the farm, deer lease, and elsewhere, it has never failed. But the first time my father in law used the auto locking hubs in his new truck, he had to get out and actually lock them. Due to the design of the Ram's 4wd system, I see not need for locking hubs and an upgrade to one would be pointless unless you want to add more complexity to your system.

On my last two Super Duty's with a combined ~ +400,000 miles I never had a failure or a glitch with engaging my 4wd system, and I literally switch them to 4wd when I drive in to my hunting ranch whether it's rain or shine just to simply lube the transfer case and splash some lube around in the front diff which means I probably engaged 4wd thousands of times and never had a problem. On another Ford forum I read it's like a never reported problem.

I guess my father, father in law, brother, brother in law, wife's uncle, and multiple friends must be doing something wrong along with all those people I sold hubs to back in the day.

Edit: A quick look up of our hub sales and service from our nine Ford dealers shows that we still sell quite a few of them. If you are not having issues then that is awesome, but many still are.

There's a difference between a hub and a locker and I think you have the two confused. I've had to replace my passenger side hub a few years ago because the bearing was making a noise. The drivers side is still original with 222k miles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
mudfuel07 wrote:
My LB SRW 3500 does this in 4wd. It hops like crazy when I try to turn, don't notice it in 2wd. Don't know if it does in on pavement or not, never tried 4wd there. Taken it to the dealer a couple of times and they said it's normal. My SB never did it.

Every truck I’ve had if the hubs are locked and it’s in 4 wheel drive the front tires will grab or hop on dry pavement . That’s normal .

Never tried it on dry pavement, always on soft dirt and sand. I'm not blowing out something out.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
“Dog” ya sold that POS yet now that prices are super high?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ha, can’t argue with that! I still can’t believe FCAs solution to the drag link or tie rod thing was to goob a tack weld on something that shouldn’t come loose in the first place.

None of us know what you’ve gone through with your Ram and how diligently you’ve pursued it. Never saw a thread bout multiple dealers, arbitration, lemon law, etc.
And no one knows the whole story except you.

But what is absolutely fcking hilarious is why you still have the truck. Trucks are selling for stupid money now. Is it that bad off that no one would buy it for a good price from you? You’ve exhausted all the options and accept that the company won’t fix your little issues with it?

Your story, while plausible. We’ve most of us had a lemon at some point, but just complaining incessantly “should” be wearing on even you!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Devo the dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
...There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

The upgrade is buying a Ford. Plus, you get a working heater and AC at no extra cost. LOL.

I got lucky I got working hubs , heater ,and AC on my Ram

That doesn't mean much - you got lucky and never required a repair.

Ram is the only manufacture we have ever owned that won't honor a warranty.

From numerous threads I've read, I'm sure they'd put a spot weld on the AC and heater if a dodge knuckle dragger said it would fix the problem. Apparently, a spot weld was the common factory fix for almost anything that broke on the older dodges.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

The upgrade is buying a Ford. Plus, you get a working heater and AC at no extra cost. LOL.

I got lucky I got working hubs , heater ,and AC on my Ram .:B I can't say the same for my previous Ford , just unlucky there.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

It was the beauty of having manual hubs on my 99 Super Duty when I finally go rid of the OE manual, auto hubs, plugged off the vacuum lines ,and went with a set of manual hubs.

No desire to have to upgrade as you say to aftermarket on my Ram, there are no issues . Just the Ford I had is the one that problems with the beauty of OE locking hubs 🙂

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
IdaD wrote:

The hubs are always locked, but there's a center axle disconnect so your front driveline doesn't spin in 2wd. I prefer the old style manual hubs so none of the front driveline components spin in 2wd. It never took too much effort to plan ahead and not have to get out in the mud to lock the hubs.

Bingo. So much confusion, that just a cursory peek at and a little turning of axles/driveshafts would explain very matter of factly...

No confusion here . Just assumed I had auto hubs when shifting into 4 hi or low . The system has work flawlessly for over 7 years now. I could care less what's turning ,and what's not. If I was worried I would install a hub disconnect .

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.