Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Skool me on cell phone boosters and install tips, please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Skool me on cell phone boosters and install tips, please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does this answer the OP's question?

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Waste of money - we have stayed at over 400 parks with Verizon and I can count on one hand the parks where we have not had service

I don't even have service at my home without a booster. Those who have often don't realize not everybody has, regardless the topic.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, I get how the booster works. I'm also looking for info on how you installed the booster inside the rv, and routed the outside antenna wire into the rv? I have solar panels on my class C, maybe route down thru refridge flume on top? Glue the coax cable down to the roof using a wad of dicor? Sounds like omnidirectional we boost least hassle. Perhaps I can rig it for when I absolutely need a yagi I can screw that in instead?

For the poster about campgrounds.. we rarely if ever stay in established campgrounds. Usually boondock, occasionally remote established BLM or. National Forestcampgrounds. We're a riding, hiking or kayak crew. Not too urbane. Thanks

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the WeBoost Drive Reach... if I'm getting three or more bars on a phone the unit is useless, but if I only get one bar it will flat boost the signal into a good one. I won't travel without it. I can point my yagi antenna right at a tower and get a much better signal.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a pic or tip on how you swap out the antennas? I'd like to mount mine on the driver's side ladder and route cable I think down flue for fridge. What yagi is it and how do you rotate? Most convenient the weboost or does the yagi need come up frequently? Thanks

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your issue signal strength or bandwidth? Can’t fix bandwidth issues.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yagi antenna

I use a painter's pole from Lowe's and rotate by hand. The website cellmapper.net can show you the tower locations about anywhere you travel.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live here on the "left" coast and my arsenal consists of (1) T mobile primary 55 plus plan cell, (2) a Visible phone on the Verizon network and finally (3) that ToGo data SIM on AT&T network.

There are still times, I won't have a signal but I do also have the WeBoost. I generally use the We Boost with an omni directional antenna and it helps greatly.

Back to the OP's question....two or three points....height of the outside antenna, quality wire between outside antenna and booster and finally separation between the two inside units(booster and indoor panel antenna.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does there need to be a certain amount of separation between the outside/inside antenna's?
If objects block the outside signal pickup then wouldn't the roof of the RV block the inside antenna from the outside antenna?

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Why does there need to be a certain amount of separation between the outside/inside antenna's?
If objects block the outside signal pickup then wouldn't the roof of the RV block the inside antenna from the outside antenna?

a non metal roof/walls etc. are transparent to the frequencies in question. so you need about 15 ft seperation between inside and outside antenna to avoid feedback. Even an airstream with windows isn't going to provide much isolation. And most objects outside don't block much signal. Thats why a cell phone works in your house.

High water content does block the signal, but few objects have enough water content.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Skool me on cell phone boosters and install tips, please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.