cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Sherman Giant Tree

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
In about a month we'll be leaving MN and heading to the General Sherman giant Sequoia tree in California. Our route will travel south out of MN on I35 until we intersect I80 in Iowa where we'll head west on I80. We'll travel west to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in Colorado near Alamosa. Next we'll head west to drive through Monument Valley in Utah and head south to the Grand Canyon in AZ. The route is flexible. Please advise us on places to camp along the way, RV parks, campgrounds etc. and things to see and do. After visiting the giant tree we'll head for the wine country north of San Francisco. All of your recommendations will be carefully considered. Thank you.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
17 REPLIES 17

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
They fence off that particular tree because it is so popular -- the roots would be destroyed.

But if you take the Congress Trail (which starts at the Sherman Tree), you soon come to hundreds of HUGE trees that are not fenced off. Here are some photos that may be of interest:

For example see this blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I was disappointed that you can't get within 20 ft of the tree.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Jon, it's true that you can see a big tree from the parking lot -- and for folks who can't walk well, that's a good alternative.

But speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time wandering around the Sequoias, there is nothing like a hike to a "non-parking-lot" grove, away from the crowds, and just hanging out and listening to the silence, surrounded by 2000 year old trees, among the largest living things on the planet.

I completely agree. I just wanted to point out that the "mist" that contributes to the size & life of these trees can sometimes make it impossible to see them. If you want the full effect of the size of them, you need a clear day.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we'll have to keep an eye on the weather as we near the giant tree. I do what to see the whole tree and stand in the vicinity of many similar trees etc. Due to the fires we have decided to take this trip in Sept. of 22. So we have plenty of time to plan. Thanks for the help with that.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jon, it's true that you can see a big tree from the parking lot -- and for folks who can't walk well, that's a good alternative.

But speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time wandering around the Sequoias, there is nothing like a hike to a "non-parking-lot" grove, away from the crowds, and just hanging out and listening to the silence, surrounded by 2000 year old trees, among the largest living things on the planet.
About our trailer

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning a day trip to see the tree, check the weather. The day we went the fog was so thick a ranger at the parking lot told us that we would barely be able to see the base of the tree, let alone the entire thing.

There are plenty of tall trees at the parking lot:

A 1950 family photo of the Wawona Tree in Mariposa Grove:

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you want giant sequoias, check out Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Camping, trails and trees.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like I read recently that Yosemite required reservations now, even for a day visit. Might want to make sure first.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the Sequoia area, I'd recommend Sequoia RV Ranch. If you have a toad, it's about 45 minutes up to Congress Grove. Don't take a big rig up Highway 198 -- very twisty.
About our trailer

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the many good ideas. We have as much time as we need to do this trip right and see what is there to see. I really appreciate your ideas so far. We might not make it out that way again so we'd prefer to see it all on this trip, or at least most of it.

We are open to any type of camping, have a generator and can boondock, but the wife prefers RV parks. However, she has liked state parks too.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you leave for anywhere in NoCal, check the fire status.

mlpeloquin
Explorer
Explorer
It is amazing standing near General Grand and General Sherman. One branch fell years ago, and I think the sign that was posted said it could have built a 2000 sq ft home. Sequoia trees once covered Nevada and other states. Weather changes do to the Himalayas rising in altitude caused the earths weather pattern to change. The US west turned to desert and south east Asia desert turned to rain forest.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to spend a few days at Sequoia -- lots to do and see. Great hiking. Much cooler and less crowded than Yosemite Valley. And, if you are there in the winter, great snow-shoeing -- that's DW in the lower right corner of the photo. This was taken in Congress Grove, not far from the Sherman Tree.

And no, this is not a trick shot -- those trees really are astonishingly big. Standing amongst them is like being in a cathedral:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great boondocking sites around Tusayan at the GCNP south entrance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad