cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye old friend, You will be missed

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped camping the first of this year when our 19 year old dog,Abby, lost the ability to stand on her rear legs. We just could not leave her behind. We continued to assist her in walking and getting around. She ate well and could walk with assistance. Then earlier this summer she began sleeping 20 hours a day. We were hoping for a few more days but this month she lost the ability to even stand with assistance. It was the hardest thing to do but she was no longer really living; just existing. The vet agreed it was time and she is now running and playing at the rainbow bridge. Where we will meet again!
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I so sorry to hear this news.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your kind responses. The hardest part is watching her "sister" constantly looking around for her. They used to have a ritual when going outside that one would go first and then wait for the other one to come out before continuing on.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have my sympathies. It's always difficult when we lose a family member. With time, perhaps you will open your heart to another who can continue Abby's legacy.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
It is so very hard to loose a pet who has become a family member. Keep in mind that Abby was a very lucky dog to have been loved and cared for for 19 years....and she knew it!
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dog Jack never showed any signs of decline but had a heart attack and died instantly 1 month before his 18th birthday 6 years ago. 2 years ago our Brussels started kidney failure at 13. With hydration and hand feeding she was fine for a year and then just started failing so we had her put to sleep. We miss them every day more than I can ever say. I can never know how bad you feel but it is just awful. Treasure the times you had.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Deciding when is always a very difficult time. Hard to let go, but best for the pet when that time comes.

Take the time to mourn. And then go forward with another. A rescue is always a good way to go. We have only had one at a time, and lost those at 16 yrs, 14 yrs, 12 yrs. The first from a pup. The others older rescue/adoptions. Now our latest is going on 11. Loved them all.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss, but clearly you took fantastic care of Abby for her to have lived such a long life!! Cherish the many memories (((HUG)))
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry for your loss. She knew you loved her unconditionally and obviously enjoyed her life with her loved ones.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear. 19 years is an amazing lifespan. Kudos to you and your family for taking care of her so well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
Sorry for your loss. It seems you had many good years and experiences with her and you eased her final years and repaid some of the companionship and love she gave during her life.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for your loss. Your description of Abby is so similar to our Lucky. He is having problems with his hind legs as well. There is a ramp for the fiver and one for the truck but I still have to help him navigate them. He is also sleeping more each day. He turns 14 in September.
I can only imagine what you are going thru with Abby's passing.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023