cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hellwig Sway Bars on 2021 24-footer

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 months ago, my 30 year old son called me, telling the story of driving the "new to them", 31' Class C that they had just purchased, from the Dallas area to outside of Houston. They got a really good buy on a 'garage-kept', 20 year old with the Ford V10. Anyway, he said the camper was all over the road and really difficult to drive.

He did some research and decided to add heavy duty sway bars. Hellwig was the company he purchased from and once arriving, he installed and reported that it was a HUGE improvement, improving the driving so much that his wife enjoys driving the motorhome.

Fast forward to a week ago, when the wife and I drove a 2021 24' Golf Stream Conquest off the lot for the 100 mile drive home. While the driving experience wasn't horrible, I hated how the front end kept trying to find itself. It was 24 short hours before I punched in the credit card number for a set of Hellwigs myself. For my E350, it was about $700.... and after the first test drive, likely to be the best money I will ever spent on this Class C. Even on rough, ground-heave roads of western Colorado, the chasis is solid and firmly planted.

Check out.... how much thicker and heavier the Hellwig's are as opposed to Ford OEM ****.

By the way, I did the whole job myself. The front took about an hour and the rear took about 2 hours. They only way I did it myself was with the help of zip ties I could snip off after I attached the bolts. It would be really handy, if you tackle this job to have a second set of hands.

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8
5 REPLIES 5

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
jnoflane2 wrote:

Track Bar? What is that?

A track bar is installed on the rear axle of a towing vehicle and is most useful if you are towing something. The term: "tail wag" refers to the towing vehicle being wagged side-to-side by what it is towing.

A track bar reduces or eliminates in many cases any tail wag.

A track bar and a rear sway bar can be installed together. It is not one or the other.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
jnoflane2 wrote:

Track Bar? What is that?

Track bar= Panhard rod.

It goes transverse (side to side) with one end connected to the chassis, the other to the axle.

It allows for full up/down movement but minimizes side to side movement.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
stripit wrote:
I did the same on my 27 ft class C and was towing a car. To help even more I added the rear trac bar from Helwig.The two sway bars helped a LOT but that trac bar made the rig drive straight and true.

Track Bar? What is that?

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same on my 27 ft class C and was towing a car. To help even more I added the rear trac bar from Helwig.The two sway bars helped a LOT but that trac bar made the rig drive straight and true.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like button!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold