cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lounge Chair / Recliner for a relaxing nap

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the chairs I bought with the fold-up tray and glass holder was a great choice, but I now find I've been wrong about this... something about taking a relaxing nap in the shade under the awning really appeals to me, and so, with the multitude of choices out there, I'm hoping those with experience will chime in to advise brand, style, durability issues and more, and guide me to an affordable, dependable, and durable choice.

Any takers?
11 REPLIES 11

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
...affordable, dependable, and durable choice.

Pick any 2, but only 2.;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used zero gravity chairs for the first couple of years. Unfortunately the only good spot I had to carry them was hanging from ladder brackets. They were heavy and a real nuisance to get up and down. They did not get anywhere near as much use as we anticipated. There were other downsides such as really difficult to use near a campfire and really difficult to use when trying to eat. Finally we got rid of them and switched to light weight folding aluminum chairs. They work great but not for taking naps. We do have a couple of small hammocks that get occasional use for heavy duty napping.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for zero gravity reclining chairs. It's almost impossible to not doze off within 5 minutes. The only draw back is that they are big and harder to store.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the 0 gravity chairs that I bought from Bass Pro a few years ago.

I also have 4 hard armed Northwest territories bag chairs chairs I bought from K-mart before the one from Bass Pro that I bought for only $17 each. They too are great chairs but were discontinued by K-mart before they bankrupted.

I bought the bag chairs because you can grip the arms when getting in an out of them to sit and push to stand up. I had 2 chairs before that similar to the ones with the attached table but they did not have a table. My dad kept falling over backwards in them. He could only sit in them if he a tree to his back. The bag chairs were very stable. He never fell over again. I also use one of the bag chairs at home when I sit outside and grill.

The hard arm bag chairs are similar to this one, but have a taller back.

Hard arm bag chair.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I'd have to agree with not liking the zero gravity chairs. Had several and hated them all. But I've never been fond of recliners so that could be part of the problem. A regular ol' folding camp chair works for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the zero gravity chairs and really hated them. I would try one out before spending the money on it to be sure you like it.

For me, for casual sitting I like my Coleman camping chairs

They don't have poles, etc, in awkward places. The cooler part works great to hold my kindle and glasses handy.

For relaxing, I have one of these butterfly chairs

It has a higher back than the colemans so I can rest my head. Mine has a sherpa cushion so it is really nice in cooler temps.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing to look for is the locking mechanism. Some are notched and some are friction. Our current ones of which are SummerWinds on the label are pretty reliable. They have a slight notch in the locking mechanism. Had them for 3 years and they're still working good.
Couldn't tell you where we got them. Guessing Walmart or maybe our local all in one store Bi Mart.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfan wrote:
Zero gravity are dangerous. They make me fall asleep whenever I sit in mine. No chores can be accomplished with it around

LOL. I was just thinking the same thing. I might sleep through the whole planned trip.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Zero gravity are dangerous. They make me fall asleep whenever I sit in mine. No chores can be accomplished with it around

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the zero gravity loungers for taking a nap under the awning, DW purchased the XL padded versions with side tables and adjustable canopies, very sturdy I think she got them from one of the tv shopping networks.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I donโ€™t know what brand they are but my wife loves her gravity lounge chair , with attached pullout side table. It folds upend fits in the side storage compartment on the tt.