Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish someone could demonstrate the used price differential between colors.
Is a dealer going to offer less on green trade in as opposed to a white one? If so how much?
To me logically if the second owner was that particular, he would buy new and order what he wants.
If he does not have the credit or financial wherewithal to buy new,I doubt color actually figures into the equation for the majority of second owners and none of the third.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if you think the market will hold out like it is now, then you could probably get a pink one and still get good money for it.
But I have to lol at, “No white, black or red…..but I want the best color for resale.”

Although I’ve never sold a 1 year old vehicle. Only owned 1 in that category and it was only like that for a year, lol. The other new car was 2 years old when purchased new.

But, subjectively, black is a sure thing for virtually any vehicle. Especially a Denali.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's not red, it's just transportation. (old saying)

Seriously though, buy the truck in the color you WANT. I don't worry nor think about "I hop the next guy likes this color". Sure, a few years down the road, you will find odd color combos or a color choice that is not to your taste (if buying used) but who cares, really? We have bought cars in tan/gold that I would not have bought new...and got a great deal because it was not silver/red/blue/whatever. Point is, if buying new, get what YOU LIKE.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

If it's not red, it's just transportation. (old saying)

Seriously though, buy the truck in the color you WANT. I don't worry nor think about "I hop the next guy likes this color". Sure, a few years down the road, you will find odd color combos or a color choice that is not to your taste (if buying used) but who cares, really? We have bought cars in tan/gold that I would not have bought new...and got a great deal because it was not silver/red/blue/whatever. Point is, if buying new, get what YOU LIKE.

I think the point was he doesn’t want the next buyer to get a “great deal” because he chose an unpopular color. It sounds like he has no preference whatsoever.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

I think the point was he doesn’t want the next buyer to get a “great deal” because he chose an unpopular color. It sounds like he has no preference whatsoever.

On the contrary, he DOES have a preference, as in, already said NO to 3 of the most popular colors.

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

worrying about if the next guy will like the color is like not sleeping with your wife to save her for the next husband.

That being said, buy the color you want and don't worry what others think.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White or silver are safe for cooling and resale. Personally I love white or bright (brilliant) blue.

I just bought a used 16 Ram 1500 in bright white. While I was hoping to find a blue one or possibly red. I came across a very clean white Big Horn.

Get the color you like since you are ordering.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply do a Google search, and you can see that color DOES affect resale value. Even Forbes had a big article on it not too long ago.

Singular opinions are great -- "I like white" . . . "I like silver" . . . "I had no problem reselling my brown truck"

yeah, yeah, yeah.

1. Do your research

2. Listen to someone who's been in the business for decades and has probably bought & sold tens of thousands of cars over the years.

3. Ask yourself "if there was such a thing as a 'used car factory', what color would I be most interested in if there were actually a choice?"

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was the second person to look the truck I bought used. Seller told me the first guy would have bought it if it was white instead of silver. Dumb reason, he missed out on a really nice truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now we're into subjectivity again.
Likely most people who are going to pay top dollar for a basically new (1 year old), loaded diesel pickup are probably going to have a stronger preference to get one how they "want" it, including color.

On the other end of the spectrum, guy gots $1500 and needs wheels to get to work. 1 car is shiny (insert his favorite color), looks great and the transmission slips and it looks like a skeeter fogger out the tailpipe and every time the brakes get touched, the car darts towards the ditch......and it smells like baby poo and wet Marlboro butts inside.
The other car is pink n green, actually more of a teal, you know like 80's Maimi Vice boats and has 141 scratches and dents in it, but it is clean inside, purrs like a kitten, drives 75mph down the highway with no shakes and doesn't mark its territory every time it is standing still for more than 30 seconds.

How much does color matter in that scenario?

Since we're talking about the former, clearly, and not the latter, get the popular color!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.