cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No shore power. 33c Sunova

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
We just got home from a great 2 month vacation. We took our pickup camper on the Alaska ferry to five ports. Great trip. The problem is, when I got home our 2016 33c Sunova is dead. It was plugged in all the time, but both coach batteries and engine batteries are dead and we have no shore power. Usually when I plug the rv in and turn on the breaker, I hear a clicking noise signaling that I have shore power. Today no click and no shore power. I have checked all breakers I can think of in the coach, but no power. I flipped all the breakers by the door, switched the inverter off and on. Checked the gfi outlets, but no power. Is there any master switch that could of been flipped while it was plugged in all summer. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a couple of types of Transfer switches..... One is a relay that normally rests in one position but when the generator starts and a timer times out it clunks over to generator power.

The other is two sets of contactors/Solenoids/relays (3 names same device) and whichever gets power first pulls in and locks the other.

now I suspect some of those may need 12VDC to work. Don't know.

But you need to talk to somewone who does know.

Word of caution
When changing from/to generator power to/from Shore powe

Shut down the "From" wait 3 minutes before switching on the "TO"

or shut the main breaker off then switch during the next 3 minutes and then restore main breaker.

Switching under load (hot switching) can take out the transfer switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is that you will have to pull out your VOLTMETER and see exactly where you go from "power to no power" on that line.

We can speculate until the cows come home, but 15 minutes with a voltmeter will give you the FACTS.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could have a bad adapter. 30 to 50 amp adapter ties the two hot leads together. If the jumper in the adapter fails, you will loose one leg of the power to the rig.
Cheap to get new adapter!
If you have a energy management system, mack sure it is set correctly as some will need to be set for 120 volt shorepower and not 50 amp which is 120/240.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
RV is 50 amp. House receptacle is 30 amp. Will keep batteries charged with portable devices. Made an appointment with shop, but busy till early October. Thanks for all advice. Felt reassured when generator gave power to all outlets.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not expect the ATS to click on both gen and shore power as normally the relays are closed and remain closed with shore power so no noise. Do you have a EMS (energy management system) which also has relays?

BTW How long before you found the dead batteries? With everything turned off should be good for a month.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peridiocally charge each bank overnight with the portabe charger as required. It takes many gen hours to fully charge the batteries. Could be the transfer switch but it could be adapters, plugs or wiring. A voltmeter is your friend...

Is the RV 30A or 50A and what is the house plug?

Bob

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like transfer switch, but might just be the wire contacts are loose. If not loose, probably new transfer switch time.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all advice. I did check my wall outlet and it does have full power. I used my battery charger and was able overnight to bring the chasis battery to full power and start the Sunova This gave a charge to the coach batteries. Used your advice and started generator. It made that clicking sound and the microwave came on so I now have electrical power. So is the transfer box the problem as to why I don't have shore power. I'll run the generator for a while to get all the batteries back to full charge. What do I check next. Thanks

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
After you get the chassis battery charged or jumped, see if you have power with the generator. That will narrow it down. Also check the breaker that controls your power plug at home i have had ours trip from time to time..
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the shore power receptacle good? Pedestal or source could have issues.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you have generator capability, the transfer switch that senses where the power is coming from, Genny or shore may not be working. Or since you were always plugged in to shore power, you converter is dead, not charging the batteries.
The click indicates a transfer switch. engaging.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
First get a portable charger on the batteries as dead batteries have a shorter life. Have you checked that there is power at the house plug? If OK then if you have the skill/knowledge to be safe check the voltage at the RV house panel.

Bob