cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVs.....A Few Newbie Questions

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I'm retired Navy (23 years) and getting ready to retire from my second career (Civil Service). My name is Mark.

I'm going to purchase a fifth wheel and towing truck in the next six months for the wife and I to live in, travel and enjoy retirement.

I live in Eastern Virginia and will be purchasing here and traveling to eastern Oregon at least initially, since our relatives live out there.

My cash budget to purchase the fifth wheel and truck will be $150K. I've spent about a week reading about the various RV makes, quality and reliabilty "opinions" and such. Any recommendations on the best quality RV fifth wheel for around $75K? I can figure the truck out myself and have targeted RAM 3500 and Ford 3500 deisels for further analysis before I buy those. Don't need all the bells and whistles that would drive truck prices up to 90K or so.....I think I'll be in a truck for around 60K with the specifications I want.

Thank you!

Mark
28 REPLIES 28

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
When you purchase a new truck say 60k regardless of Dodge, Ford, you can expect at least 2 + maybe 5 + years of driving without any mechanical issues. Zero. When you purchase a new RV regardless of price 25K or 95K do not be surprised if you have issues on your first trip. More than compared to a new vehicle.

I would suggest taking the RV not too far away, test everything out, AC, Water hookups, appliances, lights. Not trying to be negative but high price does not seem to prevent issues. Take a small trip for a few days to break it in before setting off and find halfway to Oregon you encounter a major issue on the road. 90 degrees and the AC ***** out.
In an ideal world paying 60k+ there should be zero issues but in the RV world they are not the same as buying a 60k+ truck.
Some will disagree with me but I have lost count the number of people who purchased RV (5th wheel, travel trailer) and had issues. Just my own opinion. I rather find a major fault local to home to resolve than mid way on a long distance journey.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Well stated
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
The Hershey show is a great place to look, you will get to see a bunch of different floor plans and will be able to get a idea of what you want. Be aware that some of the dealers there are pretty high pressure on trying to get you to buy.

The truck I would suggest getting a diesel they are just a much better towing experience, after towing with my diesel I will never go back to gas.
Get the 350-3500 series and depending on the trailer you get you may need a DRW.
I prefer the blue oval brand but any of the big 3 will serve you well.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for hung wall const,eg. cedar creek or others,quieter inside,no delam if you get a water leak etc,have had 3 with laminated const,hung wall NEWMAR WAS BEST IN MY OPINION.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
etcsthorne wrote:

So much information and such nice people on this forum! Thank you! I think I'd shy away from the dual rear wheel trucks because I'd have to live day-to-day with whatever I buy for the long-term. Will a Ford F350 super duty deisel with single rear pull the larger fifth wheels reliably and safely? I think I'd opt for a crew cab and 8' bed, which makes for a really long truck.....but I've been driving large pickups for 30 years or so.... no big deal there. Thanks again!

If you are thinking of ordering a FW, be aware that you may not get what you order. Your contract will likely have a "substitution" clause where the mfr can sub different products from what you want, or you face a much longer wait. Here's an interesting video that I watched a couple days ago: (I have no connection; don't even subscribe to their channel.) https://youtu.be/laNbSFZpXqc

When mfrs are having to go to local Home Depot, Lowe's or Menard's to buy =insulation=, you know the supply chains are F'd up pretty badly. They're also saying that there's likely to be a Luan shortage, so rigs built in the next couple of years using a 2nd, inferior, choice face a much higher chance to have delam issues.

There's a guy over on the KZ forum who ordered a new KZ in December, 2020, with an April/May delivery time. Then it slipped to September/October and now he's being told December, 2021. Not only that but, despite having a contract, they're telling him that his price will be $10,000 higher.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I can make a great suggestion on the fifth wheel for a couple - Grand Design 337RLS. Opposing slides in the rear make a very large living area. The bed/bath is very spacious as well with a walk in closet at the front and washer dryer hookups. You can tow it with a SRW 1 ton truck. You can get into the fridge when the slides are closed if that's important to you - can also access the front bedroom.

I'd also suggest the long bed and the B&W Companion. I have the short bed with the B&W manual slider. If possible, go with a diesel engine - better MPG and a WAY better towing experience - especially if full timing.

Arctic insulation is a myth. There is only so much insulation you can get into a thin RV wall. The electric fireplace helps a lot but if you try living in it in extreme cold, you will be miserable - but then you can always move. Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
So much information and such nice people on this forum! Thank you! I think I'd shy away from the dual rear wheel trucks because I'd have to live day-to-day with whatever I buy for the long-term. Will a Ford F350 super duty deisel with single rear pull the larger fifth wheels reliably and safely? I think I'd opt for a crew cab and 8' bed, which makes for a really long truck.....but I've been driving large pickups for 30 years or so.... no big deal there. Thanks again!

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Think of it all as a system. The parts have to fit together for the best experience. The towing is going to be more stable with duals. However, do you play in the mud? Drive the beaches on the outer banks? Drive in snow to ski or sled? Maybe then a single rear wheel.

Any homeowner association rules? Do you drive the BWI parkway? Like to use the hammer lanes? Then maybe the dreaded 3/4 ton, or the horrible 1/2 ton. Answer "yes" to any of these and you really limit your camper choices.

Answer "no" then pick the camper first and then second pick a truck rated under SAE J2807 (I think all of the big 3 comply) for the pin weight and tow capacity to fit. Chevy, Ford, Ram they are all good. Diesel or gas, under the ratings both have pluses and minuses. Hard to beat the puck systems, unless you use the rails to tie stuff down. Short bed if you need it for tight spaces, long bed for traveling.

Sad to say, you may have to order well in advance. Wait times stink right now on our toys.

Unless you already drive fifth wheels, a big empty lot, some cones and practice will help reduce stress in backing into the campground. Also work out a system of signals with your co-driver, and be prepared for the occasional discussion.

Make sure you know how to jack up the camper (I use a wedge) and change a tire. Try it once at home and see what you forgot. Get an extra set of bearing, race (cone), seal and store them in a can of grease. Even if you cannot, or do not want to change them, it is nice to have on a Sunday afternoon in Nowhere USA. Parts can be a bear for campers.

Now hit the road, see you round the campfire.

etcsthorne
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
From one Twidget to another.....Thanks for taking the reins...I spent time at Pier 12/13.....LOL.I too am retired from the DON, last 15 years as a flight test engineer, last 3 yrs on TRITON.

Hey, consider Forest River's Cedar Creek line....Coastal RV is near by up in the Newport News area. Not sure how many units they have on the lot. We are on our 2nd CC....and Yes, a full bed, diesel dually is the way to go, if you want ease of driving and stability. Your rig won't be pushing the truck around....ask me how I know.

Richmond Raceway usually has a RV show, not sure if they still do. AS mentioned Hershey is really great.

Good Luck on the search, its the most fun...and as was stated, whatever you buy, will have issues.

Mike

Thanks Brother. I've been checking out the Forest Rivers models and they're nice. Seems I missed an RV show earlier this month at the Virginia Beach Pavillion! DOH! No issues making a day trip to Richmond or even going to Hershey to look around.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
lucy6194 wrote:
If you are retired military check out RV camp grounds at military bases.

Have to be =very= careful about that, as many bases will not allow you to defend yourself. We looked at going to the RV park at USAFA, and that was near the top of the "rules list", so I checked that one right off. I checked a couple others around the country, and they were the same.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
From one Twidget to another.....Thanks for taking the reins...I spent time at Pier 12/13.....LOL.I too am retired from the DON, last 15 years as a flight test engineer, last 3 yrs on TRITON.

Hey, consider Forest River's Cedar Creek line....Coastal RV is near by up in the Newport News area. Not sure how many units they have on the lot. We are on our 2nd CC....and Yes, a full bed, diesel dually is the way to go, if you want ease of driving and stability. Your rig won't be pushing the truck around....ask me how I know.

Richmond Raceway usually has a RV show, not sure if they still do. AS mentioned Hershey is really great.

Good Luck on the search, its the most fun...and as was stated, whatever you buy, will have issues.

Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention as it was said to me few years back that the heavier the RV usually translates into a better built unit. Thus it will ride better, stand up to long term use and better built quality overall (not always tho).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
If you are retired military check out RV camp grounds at military bases.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The newest trucks when set up for it can pull over 15,000 lbs. The Ram's with the 8 speed gained about 3000 in towing cap. The new 6.6 GM's are up to about 16,400 when properly set up, and the Godzilla powered Fords are claiming 17,000 I believe.

If you are in a hurry, and expect to be in mountains a lot, the oil burners will pull better, and the exhaust brakes are a plus. The oil burner will cost more up front, cost more to maintain, and uses a more expensive fuel (although slightly better mpg offsets this).
The Gas trucks will be a little slower up hills with a trailer, how much will depend on the trailer. Personally I would like that the truck uses the same fuel as my generator, so I always have a little reserve. And there are times Diesel isn't available, without some searching.
As someone else said over 15,000 I would look/lean diesel, but at 12-14, I would likely go gasser.
And again , I'm not generally in a hurry.