cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator won't light at higher elevation

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
This has happened on 4 trips, in 2016 in the North Carolina Mountains and in Wyoming and Montana and in 2019 and 2021 on trips to Colorado. The igniter sparks and there is gas, put it doesn't light. You can light it by hand. All of the other gas appliances work fine. What is odd is that when you get out of the mountains it works fine. For 3 years it lit every time we switched to gas.

I know the air has less oxygen at elevation, but wouldn't the water heater and stove have the same problem lighting. The only thing I can see is the refrigerator is more exposed to the outside. Anyone else had this happen?
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two things to check The air fuel mix may be too rich.
and the spark gap a bit wide.

Not on a RV fridge (Or water heater) but on two furnaces, one fuel oil in a house and the propane in my RV. the spark gap was too wide resulting in intermittent operation.

I am not a HWEVAC tecnician. I've only worked on 4 furnaces.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
Clean the rod with a scotchbrite pad and wipe the porcelain with alcohol. Check it closely for carbon tracking. It could be an ignitor alignment problem if you can light it other ways but the ignitor rod won't. DON'T try to bend the rod w/o heating it with a torch first! I also blow the dust out of all my burners every few years.
Check the system pressure with everything lit. Craig

also take out and clean the gas orifice. It has a very very small opening, and even a bit of dust, spider web etc. will reduce gas flow. And once you get it lit, look carefully at the flame. A good sized blue flame, if it isn't likely a partially plugged orifice.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the rod with a scotchbrite pad and wipe the porcelain with alcohol. Check it closely for carbon tracking. It could be an ignitor alignment problem if you can light it other ways but the ignitor rod won't. DON'T try to bend the rod w/o heating it with a torch first! I also blow the dust out of all my burners every few years.
Check the system pressure with everything lit. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
melandme wrote:

I know the air has less oxygen at elevation, but wouldn't the water heater and stove have the same problem lighting. The only thing I can see is the refrigerator is more exposed to the outside. Anyone else had this happen?

A not uncommon problem. It is all about the fuel/air ratio. Likely the water heater and stove are providing a leaner fuel mixture (i.e. not too fuel rich) than the fridge is. Some devices have an adjustable air intake, but not all. Some require an orifice change for high altitudes.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Both LP pressure and the spark electrode GAP. Odds are the Gap for the electrode is not set correctly to get a GOOD spark. Doug

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Checked your LP pressure? Both my truck campers came from the factory with low pressure.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4