cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locast TV suspends operation.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
BUMMER! Just got notice that Locast is suspending service immediately in light of the court decision against them. This is sad news as this service was invaluable to us RVers. Sure hope they can resolve the issue and be back because it was great while it lasted. Is there any other LIVE TV services out there? We use the individual network apps but a lot of networks are not available to stream online.
chartrue2@aol.com
16 REPLIES 16

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom_M wrote:
I was camped out in the boonies of Florida last winter and couldn't receive the station that the Superbowl was on. I did have a good enough cell connection and watched it on Locast. Using Location Guard add-on with Firefox I could watch TV from most of the major markets in the US. I also used it to watch the Vikings (my home team) when it wasn't broadcast in Florida. I'll miss it.

This is a big part of why the court ruled against it. Using it to circumvent the franchised coverage areas is undercutting the ability of those franchises making a profit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The current laws permitted collections of fees only to offset expenses not to expand into other areas. The judge stated that Locast was collecting fees far in excess of what they needed for current expenses. That is what put them in another category.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Unusual to have good enough internet to play live videos in areas where OTA doesn't work.

Not saying it can't happen but not common.
I was camped out in the boonies of Florida last winter and couldn't receive the station that the Superbowl was on. I did have a good enough cell connection and watched it on Locast. Using Location Guard add-on with Firefox I could watch TV from most of the major markets in the US. I also used it to watch the Vikings (my home team) when it wasn't broadcast in Florida. I'll miss it.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
In made my comments in the other thread (Look for Previously Posted link above) And I stand by them... I think Locase was the service provider and the plantiffs should have been paying them not suing them.

And the court didn't agree with your logic nor did the stations who get to decide what contractual agreements they join.

As with the other thread, you only considered 1 aspect of the income stream for the stations and ignored several others.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
VUit is a free streaming service. Not a lot of programs available, but news from all over the country.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I watch free Pluto TV several hours a day, especially Andy Griffith and Barney which is on free 24/7.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In made my comments in the other thread (Look for Previously Posted link above) And I stand by them... I think Locase was the service provider and the plantiffs should have been paying them not suing them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
chast wrote:
Thanks Pianotuna, I will check that out. Doesnโ€™t seem to carry major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) which is what is need to keep the wife happy. May be good for other kinds of entertainment though.

Try this:

https://www.pluto.tv/en/live-tv/mst3k
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
chast wrote:
Thank Oldman2 for the repost of the topic. As we travel, we usually are satisfied with OTA broadcasts. Many times though, we are in an area where OTA is not available. It would be nice to be able to get live, local news via the internet. We have had both DirectTV and Dish network and have dropped both due to the ever-increasing cost. We have not been able to find any service through which we can stream live TV.

Unusual to have good enough internet to play live videos in areas where OTA doesn't work.

Not saying it can't happen but not common.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Pianotuna, I will check that out. Doesnโ€™t seem to carry major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) which is what is need to keep the wife happy. May be good for other kinds of entertainment though.
chartrue2@aol.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This may help?

https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/watch-free-tv/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlatBroke wrote:
It was a PITA. No loss to me.

Well said. They never were in my market location anyway.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank Oldman2 for the repost of the topic. As we travel, we usually are satisfied with OTA broadcasts. Many times though, we are in an area where OTA is not available. It would be nice to be able to get live, local news via the internet. We have had both DirectTV and Dish network and have dropped both due to the ever-increasing cost. We have not been able to find any service through which we can stream live TV.
chartrue2@aol.com

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The major networks are available for streaming of their live programming... if you have a paid TV provider already. We have a Dish satellite TV account and, if I don't feel like setting up the antenna for a one- or two-nighter, I just log into the network apps on the smart TV using my Dish credentials. Depending on where we are, I also scan for local OTA stations.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015