cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety Chains Binding Between Hitch Head & Trunnion Bars

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody ever have this issue or ever hear of this issue with Reese Dual Cam sway control? I've posted a couple of times about my dual cam bracket & cam bending. I discovered today it's because the way the safety chains hang when I am straightening out from a turn sometimes the chains will get bound between the hitch head and the trunnion bar. This won't allow the trunnion bear to come back into its proper location so it in turn puts outward pressure on the hanging brackets for the Dual cam which bends both the bracket and the cam. If you have a fix I'd be mighty obliged to hear it, if you have suggestions I'd be mighty obliged to hear them as well. Here's hoping I can get this one sorted out.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
24 REPLIES 24

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
chains would go under the bars if they were back further.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Get longer chains and move them to outside of bars.
Esacnj

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
You can get grade 70 chain from Princess Auto, 2 locations in Ottawa.

Perfect, I'm 25 minutes from the Kanata location. Thanks!
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
You can get grade 70 chain from Princess Auto, 2 locations in Ottawa.

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the info & advice. I think moving the chain mounting point on the "A" frame back about 6" will solve my problem. I currently have 24" chains which I think will be too short so I'm going to buy 36" & go from there. Question now is what grade chain do I buy? 8,500lb trailer with 1,120lb on the tongue. Thanks!
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Picture won't post??โ€ฆ.on edit: thank you moderator for posting my photo.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer manufacturer have attached those break away chains way-y-y too far forward on the trailer, that is the problem. Have new attachment points put on just in front of the anti sway stabilizers.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Why can't you route the safety chains on the outside of the torsion bars. Then nothing will get pinched from what I can see in the photos.

As long as the chains are long enough I couldn6't agree more. Where they are now is just asking for trouble

That was the first thing I tried, too short. When I get home I'll be putting on longer chains so I can do just that.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Why can't you route the safety chains on the outside of the torsion bars. Then nothing will get pinched from what I can see in the photos.

As long as the chains are long enough I couldn't agree more. Where they are now is just asking for trouble

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
It's the under-slung coupler combined with the forward safety-chain mounting. I think moving the safety-chains aft would fix the issue.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
do you have the HD snap up brackets with the extra gussett on them? If not you NEED them with the 1500lb bars or you WILL bend the brackets.

I do have the HD bracket. It was supplied with the hitch & the dealer installed it. It's not the snap up bracket that is bending though, it's the flat hanger bracket & the cam.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
do you have the HD snap up brackets with the extra gussett on them? If not you NEED them with the 1500lb bars or you WILL bend the brackets.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
If that was my rig I would have the chain attachment point moved back a bit. That seems to be where your issued are originating. It appears that you have several inches that you can move the attachment point before it gets close to the tongue jack.

An easy test for this idea would be to use some zip ties and tie the chains to the back of the welded loop. From the pics that would be at least 1 1/2 inches back.

Personally, I think you need another link or two in your chains. The extra length would keep everything hanging below the pinch points when turning.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500