cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Consider trip interruption coverage???

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago I started carrying trip interruption coverage in addition to ERS and the usual full coverage. We were hauling my motorcycle on almost every trip and doing a lot of riding all over the west/southwest. While I did not anticipate an upcoming problem for around $100 a year it provided some comfort to my bride and I. Should we have a mishap on the bike just getting the coach and trailer home could be quite a challenge. The coverage deals with a number of other issues and happily we have never needed it.

About 2 weeks ago we had reservations at Pinegrove {which are very hard to come by}, one of our favorite CG's located about 25 miles south of Flagstaff. Again we were taking the bike and were looking forward to this trip even more due to the unexpected kidney stone that rocked my world {and NOT in a good way} the week before our scheduled departure. After 4 days in the hospital I returned home and reluctantly canceled our Monday reservation on Saturday assuming that I still might not be up to the trip. This turned out to be a very good decision as Monday night I had to be rushed to the ER with serious Liver and Gaul Bladder issues.

Long story short, I spent the next 8 days in two different hospitals, no longer have a Gaul Bladder or the errant stones that had escaped it. Had we gone to Pinegrove it would have turned into a serious 911 event with my bride, myself and our Class C, trailer and bike all 80 miles {which easily could have been hundreds or even thousands} from home. Had that occurred I would have been calling the trip interruption folks to get our rig and my bride back home.

I won't name the coverage we have but based upon other reports believe they could/would have dealt with these issues. The key is contact them first before contracting with anyone to move the rig. It is not insurance per se but they will pay to get you, your family, the rig and even pets returned to your residence. I think we really dodged several large caliber bullets on this last incident, you can't imagine the pain involved and being medevaced out from an isolated CG certainly would have complicated things {vs being 2 miles from the local ER}.

So now I ask: Do you have this coverage and have you ever needed it? What issues/problems {if any} did you encounter in using it? Will you continue to carry this coverage? I certainly will hoping that I will never need it {much like my fire extinguishers, EMS system and ERS}.

:h
9 REPLIES 9

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Others seem to be interested. Is there a reason you won't post the name of the coverage you have?

Sometimes these threads drift a little sideways and to keep the focus on the issue vs brands I left off my choice. For the record I have Good Sam Travel Assist which I renewed last June for $100. I keep their contact info, policy # etc. in my phone so either my bride or can easily contact them. Sure hope I never need it but knowing it is in place is nice.

:C

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Others seem to be interested. Is there a reason you won't post the name of the coverage you have?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Those little stones sure do hurt. Were they able to determine the likely cause?

Probably 69 years of living well... there are some serious dietary adjustments currently being made. That and the worst luck of my life... sigh.

Getting back to the original topic, Our rig, a 24' Class C, 10' cargo trailer and the bike probably are worth around $60,000 but everywhere you look are combos worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I doubt that every spouse is capable of driving these large expensive combos even short distances {alone and under the stress of having their partners incapacitated} much less hundreds - thousands of miles.

Knowing that professional help would be made available to get everything home is a serious comfort. Also I mentioned pets in the original post and while we no longer have our pooch she went on every trip with us for years. Seems like there are as many folks out there with multiple pets as just one or none and we all know they are family.

When you spend a couple of weeks going through what I am now, thankfully crawling out of you have a lot of time to think about stuff like this sort of thing so sharing seemed timely based upon what almost became real world experience. Because it is rarely needed the cost for this coverage $100 +/- really isn't much vs the investment you have in your rig not mention the family side of the equation.... just sayin.

:C

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Those little stones sure do hurt. Were they able to determine the likely cause?

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
For over 30 years I have been traveling solo, no pets, and a couple of times have been sick enough to need to stay in place for a couple of days until I recovered enough to continue the trip. Once I was badly injured in a fall while camping with a group of friends in another state; they drove me to the hospital and drove both me and my RV the 500 miles to home.

However, I really had not thought about insurance for trip interruption until I read your post. Thanks for the heads up.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
What is the premium for such comprehensive trip interruption insurance. I am sure others would like to know before

My Good Sam Trip interrutption coverage is approx. $125 per year. Or figure about 3 meals a year for 2 people!!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Trip "interruption insurance" is a cheap price for a peace of mind and not having to worry if you actually need it. Each year we get older the probability of needing the insurance increases.

Bingo.

What is the premium for such comprehensive trip interruption insurance. I am sure others would like to know before

Premiums are based on the total cost of what you want covered, age and location of trip among other things so there's no way to say what it will cost. Allianz (who I use) allows you to get a quote on their website.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Several years ago I started carrying trip interruption coverage in addition to ERS and the usual full coverage. We were hauling my motorcycle on almost every trip and doing a lot of riding all over the west/southwest. While I did not anticipate an upcoming problem for around $100 a year it provided some comfort to my bride and I. Should we have a mishap on the bike just getting the coach and trailer home could be quite a challenge. The coverage deals with a number of other issues and happily we have never needed it.

About 2 weeks ago we had reservations at Pinegrove {which are very hard to come by}, one of our favorite CG's located about 25 miles south of Flagstaff. Again we were taking the bike and were looking forward to this trip even more due to the unexpected kidney stone that rocked my world {and NOT in a good way} the week before our scheduled departure. After 4 days in the hospital I returned home and reluctantly canceled our Monday reservation on Saturday assuming that I still might not be up to the trip. This turned out to be a very good decision as Monday night I had to be rushed to the ER with serious Liver and Gaul Bladder issues.

Long story short, I spent the next 8 days in two different hospitals, no longer have a Gaul Bladder or the errant stones that had escaped it. Had we gone to Pinegrove it would have turned into a serious 911 event with my bride, myself and our Class C, trailer and bike all 80 miles {which easily could have been hundreds or even thousands} from home. Had that occurred I would have been calling the trip interruption folks to get our rig and my bride back home.

I won't name the coverage we have but based upon other reports believe they could/would have dealt with these issues. The key is contact them first before contracting with anyone to move the rig. It is not insurance per se but they will pay to get you, your family, the rig and even pets returned to your residence. I think we really dodged several large caliber bullets on this last incident, you can't imagine the pain involved and being medevaced out from an isolated CG certainly would have complicated things {vs being 2 miles from the local ER}.

So now I ask: Do you have this coverage and have you ever needed it? What issues/problems {if any} did you encounter in using it? Will you continue to carry this coverage? I certainly will hoping that I will never need it {much like my fire extinguishers, EMS system and ERS}.

:h

Trip "interruption insurance" is a cheap price for a peace of mind and not having to worry if you actually need it. Each year we get older the probability of needing the insurance increases.