cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tuner chip

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 F350 6.2. We want to try to squeeze a little more power out of it. Is anyone using a Thorton chip tuner on their truck? What's your experience?

We live in California so I think the 5 start tune is out of the question for us due to smog requirements.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
60hp and +5mpg? And only $89.95! But wait, there's more....
It comes with a free dash mounted laser gun and if you order now, 2 sets of patented air deflectors that will raise your mpg by 30% more!
ROFLMAO!!

In short, no, it won't do much, if I was betting one way or the other.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
So according to that article, if you change your gears, you canโ€™t change your computer to compensate. Iโ€™d check with someone there about changing gears and reprogramming your computer to make sure those modifications are ok. I looked at the website for the chip you mentioned, it doesnโ€™t give me a good feeling and I wouldnโ€™t trust it.

Going from 3.73 to 4.30 will gain you about 15% torque, I think that is by far your best bet.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful...

https://www-motortrend-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.motortrend.com/news/california-illegal-ecm-tun...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
If I was going that route, I would seriously consider re-gearing your truck to lower gears. Do you already have the 4.30 gears?

How much gains is that tuner claiming? If they are meeting California smog requirements, I doubt itโ€™s much.

No to the 4.30 gears. We have the 3.73. I'm not sure many folks know about this particular tuner chip. I'm reluctant to put anything on the truck that would effect the computer. But he wanted me to ask if anyone has had experience with this tuner so I am.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
5 star is the only way to go. If you have someone out of state have it delivered to then and then they can mail it to you!

Check your gears. Regearing makes a huge difference in towing perf.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going that route, I would seriously consider re-gearing your truck to lower gears. Do you already have the 4.30 gears?

How much gains is that tuner claiming? If they are meeting California smog requirements, I doubt itโ€™s much.