cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low mileage V10s

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing posts by people complaining about their low mileage RV's engine "blowing up" and I want to raise the alarm again about people buying Ford powered RVs with very low mileage for their age (i.e. 12K miles on a 2014). Most people only change oil according to the miles driven, thinking if it's just sitting alongside the house they do not need to. An RV like that may have only had one oil change in it's entire life. Ford Triton engines are critically dependent on Synthetic blend/full synthetic and the included additives. These oils are only good for about a year before they start being age-degraded (would you drive your car more than one year without changing oil?). The V10 is an overhead cam design with a follower between the valves and cams. That follower has a roller and pin with a steel-to-steel bearing surface. As long as oil is changed on schedule, that design is 300K mile capable. The rest of the engine will wear out before them. When oil is not changed when specified, those rollers are very prone to seizing on their pins. At first, there is no apparent evidence of this happening. The frozen roller will just slide on the cam surface. It may take several thousand miles but eventually it will start developing "traction" and when both surfaces get rough enough, the follower will get "spit out" of position usually jamming one of the valves open with fatal results for the engine. Warranty claims early on led Ford to require at least a synthetic blend oil to prevent this as conventional oils just were not up to the task. You will notice a lot of new vehicles also require a synthetic as engineers found they could build cheaper by letting the lubrication do more of the work (Ford could have spent more money putting needle bearings on those rollers). The synthetic oil strategy is often seen on cars with double overhead cams that have complex timing chain arrangements that will also trash the engine if they fail. If you buy a Ford engined RV with low miles for it's age, I STRONGLY recommend you have a mechanic pull the valve covers and make sure there are no seized rollers (there are 20 of them!). Very cheap insurance against the multi-thousand dollar expense of a replacement engine. While you are at it, have the front end checked. As chassis lubrication is done at oil changes, any grease in a low mileage/older RV is probably dry and useless. You can put 50,000 miles of wear on a front end on a 500 mile trip if the grease is bad. If you have ever owned a grease gun, you are aware of how the oil will separate from the grease and end up on the bottom of your toolbox drawer after a year. Same thing happens with the front end components.
11 REPLIES 11

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the engine isn't the problem, the sensors for the EPA emissions have a problem.
EPA -- bad idea.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpresto wrote:
What a bad post.

Yup. No paragraphs. I skipped that read.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
The last 2 V10s we had were beasts. The last we had had computer controlled, well, everything. You could not rev it beyond it's capability. When we lost all coolant, the engine went immediately into limp mode, so we could get off the interstate. It had a lot of power, also, without a Banks, which we did put on the first v10. I would agree with the OP that the oil needs changed more than on mileage. We changed ours annually or 5k miles, whichever came first.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 is as solid as they come. Yea the early ones (98-early 02) had some spark plug issues. But if they were done properly it was anon issues. The exh manifold bolts are an issue with any engine. But that donโ€™t make it a longevity issue.
A lot of people have seen them go over 200,300 even 500k miles without issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
WOW I own 2 a 99 now a 2007 never a problem I wonder what forum he heard it on.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Bruce_Brown
I won't say it's a bad post but I too have no idea what the heck the OP is talking about.

I'm sure there are some somewhere but it's sure not like it's a big, widespread issue. If I owned a V10 my concern would be ZERO.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
What a bad post. As said by others the V-10 is one of the best engines that Ford has built. If what you say is correct where are all of the posts about engines blowing?
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
1999 and still going strong. No plug issues every.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford V-10's have become pretty darn good engines, however it hasn't been sunshine,lollipops and rainbows all along. The earlier versions suffered spark plug blowout, PCV hose cracking, and exhaust manifold failure -- and these issues were not uncommon. Ford finally got things straightened out, and they became much better engines over the years.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Where are you seeing all theses V10's blowing up posts? I haven't seen them here or on any of the other RV forums that I participate in.

Me either. The V10 is one of the most bullet proof, proven and reliable platforms out there. And how is the example you cite above a V10 only problem? Still never heard of it in any case.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you seeing all theses V10's blowing up posts? I haven't seen them here or on any of the other RV forums that I participate in.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate