cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cargo Bay sliding tray install

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE, and am about to install a sliding storage tray from MORryde (36 x 90). While capacity is 800 pounds, I'm certain I'll never reach half of that.

There's about a 3" distance between the inside floor of the bay and the sheet metal underside, which suggests a nut and bolt approach. Every Youtube video I've seen, however, shows installs using only wood screws, suggesting there's a wood component as the next layer down from the carpeted flooring, but I can't find anything on this, in terms of type of wood, thickness, durability regarding such sliding tray installs, etc...

Looking for any information I can gather, as I have a smaller tray for a smaller compartment I can self-install, but want to do so properly. Will likely have my service guy install the larger tray, but still need advice...

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If the surface of your compartment is metal, use bolts. Put a dab of sealant around the bolt to keep water out.

Also pay attention to which way you install the tray. The one I installed had a 60/40 extension.
You may what the "longer" extension on one side of the RV rather than the other.

MORryde Sliding Cargo Tray Installation
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bolts/machine screws and nuts should be perfectly fine, if I'm understanding what your setup is. Good-sized washers to spread the stresses on the sheet metal would be a decent idea--or even having a backing plate/bar on the other side along the length.

Good quality rivets would probably also work well, but do pay attention to the good quality part; there are big differences in the strength between quality stainless pulled (pop) rivets and the cheap generic aluminum ones that are more readily available. (Bucked solid rivets are also plenty strong and secure, but installing them is more involved and requires some skill.)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO to screws. Use bolts, fender washers, lock washers or locking nuts. Especially on a slide that extends about 5'.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob