cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two part ??? - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two part Question - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?

And part two - Will you choose to cancel your reservation even if the campground is open?

Both questions are about the fires burning in many places right now.
And all of the smoke that goes along with the fires.

My answer: Two of the campgrounds on our upcoming three week trip have already been cancelled. Another one is currently closed, but is scheduled to reopen a couple of days before we get there.

As of right now, we will go for it.

Quote from news article in today's paper:
More than 24,000 camping reservations out of 3.2 million so far this year have been canceled due to wildfires, according to data kept by Recreation.gov, which books campsites on most federal lands.
8 REPLIES 8

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, another campground is canceled. Now we are up to three cancelations on this trip.

We were supposed to be on Big Sur starting today. At least I found someone else's cancelation in Santa Cruz. So we have a campsite, but we will be listening to the freeway all night.

Highway 1 on Big Sur would be much more peaceful!

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and Yes.

We left Arizona for a 4-week trip to Oregon on Labor Day. About a week before departure, we got a message that our planned 3 night stay at Fallen Leaf CG in South Lake Tahoe was cancelled. We scrambled and found 3 nights at a Forest Service CG in Mammoth Lakes. One day later we got cancellation notice for that as all the forests in California were closing due to extreme fire danger.

Ok then, we will just bomb it up through Nevada, avoiding California altogether, and extend our stay at Crater Lake.

After a couple of overnights in NV, We arrived to smoke, low visibility and AQI approaching 200 at Crater Lake. As we planned to hike and bike, not to mention you could barely see the lake from the rim, we stayed one night then bailed. On to the Eugene area. We also cancelled our stay near Bend due to the high AQI.

So yes, and yes.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some campgrounds and RV parks cancelled reservations just so they could house the fire evacuees. I believe they are awesome for doing this. One even waved it's fees completely, as did a major gambling resort.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We've cancelled in the past and this year didn't camp at all in August except for the 1st couple days because of smoke. Smoke is definitely playing a part in choosing where to go. We did cancel two trips last month from smoke.
We're in Oregon.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
No cancelations due to fires, but I got a email from Texas State Parks canceling my November reservation because of a hunt. No problem with refunds...

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had that problem last year, with the massive fires in northern Colorado from the Cameron Peak and East Troublesome fires. Several of my reservations at USFS campgrounds were cancelled and refunded. Also had one State Park cancellation and 1 RMNP cancellation. And in September 2020, when the Cameron Peak fire was producing massive amounts of smoke, I camped at a state park about 90 minutes EAST of where I live and the smoke was so bad we hardly left the trailer. Cleared out some on the Sunday we were returning home.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was facing that this year with Lassen NP. I decided that if the campground didn't cancel my reservation and the majority of sights I wanted to see hadn't been burned then I would go.

This past week, the campground decided to close for the rest of the season and cancelled my reservation.

For me, it really was dependent on what I wanted to do in the area and how much the fire affected that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that call should be based on where you are going, and if it will be pleasant in the area, or so smoke filled that you lose any chance of enjoying the trip.