cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn between two used Class A need help

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first Motor Home. We’re both are in our mid 60’s. We’re looking to make an informed decision.

Our favorite RV in our price range is a 2020 the Forest River FR3 30D.
We came across a 2012 Winnebago Itasca SUNSTAR 30T which is 1/2 the cost of the FR3.

I know the decision is ours but, I’m looking for feedback on the quality of these two units. The Winnebago seems to be better quality, what are your thoughts??

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
19 REPLIES 19

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
one point no one else has made is the tranny. 2017 and up will have the 6 speed tranny which everyone that has driven both it and the old 5 speed much prefers.
As to brands and models, personally with everything else being equal, I would avoid rubber roofed units. I just prefer a solid skin like the Winnies, Georgetowns, Jayco's and Entegra's.

My 2009 Tiffin coach on a Freightliner chassis had the Allison 3000MH which was a six speed transmission.

As did my 1994 Allegro Bus. That tranny has been around a long time.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
one point no one else has made is the tranny. 2017 and up will have the 6 speed tranny which everyone that has driven both it and the old 5 speed much prefers.
As to brands and models, personally with everything else being equal, I would avoid rubber roofed units. I just prefer a solid skin like the Winnies, Georgetowns, Jayco's and Entegra's.

My 2009 Tiffin coach on a Freightliner chassis had the Allison 3000MH which was a six speed transmission.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
First Class A, 2012 all the way as long as it's clean and in good operating order. A newer one will still be around later IF you get the itch but I doubt you will. The 2012 is probably a better quality. I prefer my older Monaco to most newer coaches.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Bruce_Brown
$3k for batteries? How many are you buying???
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Dave___Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Look at some of the older (7 or 8 years old) Newmar and Entegra diesel pushers. They give a great value and there's no better ride out there. Keep in mind when buying used, tires, batteries, slide covers and awnings. These can add up very quickly. The tires time out at 7 years even thought they still look great and it's real easy to spend $6k on tires. House and chassis batteries are going to be around $3k
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The FR 5er my son had was a POS. Supposed to have aluminum framing except the entire back rotted out and no aluminum 4’ up either side. A rubber roof would be a deal breaker.
A month in Fla during the winter can turn into 3-4…buy more MH than you think you need!
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Entry level is just that---If the Winnebago is in good shape it will be just fine as they are just a better made unit. Plus they have been around forever. I always buy used, I can get a lot fixed for the difference in price, and I always buy higher end units. I currently have a 1998 Monaco that I have put 20,000mi on since I got it 3 years ago and other than tires and service the only problem was a low or slow water pump which I replaced for about $100. Just keep up the service,

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the one with two holes no waiting (Bath and a half model) for as you travel the differences in the water may make "Just a minute" a long, long time if you are on the wrong side of the door.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the 2012 Winni in a heartbeat. What is being built today is less quality.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I’ve driven flatbed trucks in my former life so driving an RV shouldn’t be an issue.

No this will be a camping with a one or two month Florida trip.

Thank you"

So, this is not a long term thing? Just this one trip, or is it the deciding factor if you decide to do this 'full time'?

Pros and cons of either rig.. Does not matter what kind of rig it is for the basic "RV" parts.. All the house stuff is the same more or less between any type of RV..

Biggest deal for a Class A is the chassis drivetrain.. I think anything new these days are all on the Ford V10 chassis for gas powered rigs. The Chevy chassis was still around back in 2012 with the 8.1 V8.. Don't quote me on that... 🙂

Pros for the new one is everything will be yours and how you maintain it, use it.. Cons, any new rig could have a few bugs in either the systems or drivetrain that would suck on only a 2 month trip... No way to tell on that no matter how many 'inspections' you have on it and all 'check out' before you leave..

Pros for the used one is as long as everything is working now, both house and chassis wise, it's likely to be fine for a 2 month trip.. Cons, any used rig could come up with a bug in either the systems or the drivetrain that would suck on only a 2 month trip.... No way to tell on that no matter how many 'inspections' you have on it... and all 'check out' before you leave.. 🙂

Notice my "Cons" are basically the same... 🙂

Either way, you could be stuck on the side of the road or not having a system work... We can't say one way or the other, so just gotta go with your gut with the rig you are looking at and go from there..

I've only owned 2 new RV's.. First one was a 2003 Fleetwood travel trailer and there was some initial 'new' rig issues that were taken care of by ME.. Not under warranty, because I did that ONCE and the same thing happened again, so I did my own thing and it lasted until I traded for the 2019 Rockwood (made by Forest River) and I had a couple of initial 'new' rig issues, but I fixed them myself even thou it would have been under warranty, but didn't want to leave my rig with the dealer for a month to fix a simple thing that only cost me $100...

Anyway, others will have more advice on the specific rigs you are looking at, so pay more attention to them and not my rambling on as I have done so far! ha, ha...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
make sure the wheel base to length is 55%. higher is better, lower is RAPIDLY worse. Otherwise it may be a nightmare to drive
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Have you considered renting a class A for two weeks to see how you enjoy driving it?

Is this to be your full time home?

Of the two mentioned, I'd get the old one inspected by a mobile repair man, with particular emphasis on water leaks.

I’ve driven flatbed trucks in my former life so driving an RV shouldn’t be an issue.

No this will be a camping with a one or two month Florida trip.

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find the Winnebago IS better quality than the FR, but a thorough inspection should be done prior to a purchase. At half the price, seems like an easy decision.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress