Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Life

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning,
I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate, just was looking through other battery post and didn't find what I needed.
I have two group 31 Absorbed Glass Mat batteries, and the have served me very well since May or June of 2016. So five full years of great service. Recently, trailer is not usable, other issues in other post of mine. Anyway, We are with my kids in their trailer for the weekend. We decided to use my batteries as his were marginal in shape. So I made sure mine were fully charged, one of them was down 10.5 volts even after charging, obviously it is passed it's useful life. The other, is at 12.5 volts and is fine. Any reasons that anyone can figure? or is it just because. They have always been fine, just weird I guess and maybe the other will quit shortly also. thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good time to upgrade to LiFePO4 The cost is getting down on those. Check out Battle Born for RV use..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
I Did let them sit I believe too long without being on the charger. I took them out prior to the coach going to repair shop after an accident. So most likely I may have done it to myself. OH Well, it is what it is. I did speak with a person at Batteries Plus, Actually have right at 5 full years of service out of them. for me, was good as used to cost me an average of about $100 each for about 14 months, $7.5 per month. With the cost of these, $240 each, about $4 per month without the need for filling, smell etc. I'm good with that. anyhow, that is my story and i am sticking to it.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I had 8D AGM's so that might be different but my first set lasted 10 years before I felt they were under performing and the 2nd set were over 6 years old when I sold the coach and they were still doing just fine. Be sure your charger (or inverter/charger) is setup for proper charging of AGM's as they have a different profile from wet cell or sealed batteries.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 5 years it may be end of life.
The average life for Flooded wet is 7-10 years
The Brag is AGM's last longer and I will admit sometimes they do (saw one hit 12)
But for the most part they do not. No sealed lead acid does.

5 years sounds like it might just be "end of life"

On the other hand.. I gather you let it sit for quite some time.. Between self discharge and parasitic draw (Things that never turn off) the batteries were likely run down past the point of "not likely to return" ... Starting batteries need to be kept fairly full 80-90 percent or more.. MARINE/deep cycle also sold as MARINE/rv, are starting batteries with lip service to "deep cycle" they can go a bit lower, say 75%.. True DEEP CYCLE well the common wisdom is 50% and they stand a much better chance of recovery from an OH C@@@ level discharge (like down to 20%) Note I said Chance. No guarantee.. Kind of like sticking a dollar in the one arm bandit in Vegas.

so it may be they just aged out or it may be they were run down too far.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I know I need two new ones. I wouldn't do it any other way. I will give the one good one to my son-in-law and he can finish it off. I was just curious about the life expectancy and how well these lasted.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
2.2 volts per cell, 13.2 volts at full charge on a good battery.
10.5 volts tells me that one cell is bad. The working battery holds about 2.08 volts per cell and 5 good cells x 2.08 = 10.42 volts.
Two new batteries are in need.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado