cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Replacement plug head for NEMA 15A 10 AWG extension

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've stretched out Google (edit: and also checked a Lowe’s) but can't seem to find any replacement plug heads for what I am pretty sure is a 10 AWG extension cord which came with our used RV. (Edit: The jacket does not list the wire gauge.) Best I can find is 12 AWG. The plug head is missing the ground pin which causes it to slip out of the outlet too easily. I'm hesitant to cut the outer casing to confirm it's 10 AWG but the diameter is about 9/16ths of an inch which matches what I've seen 10 AWG cord is. And I don't want to cut the head to attempt to mate it with the common 12 AWG replacement heads because if it doesn't fit, it would ruin it.

So. Anyone know of 10 AWG replacement plug heads?
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
24 REPLIES 24

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Could be numbered in accordance with an agreed upon standard or they are all purchasing them from the same source and reselling them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SlowBro wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
NEMA 15A is a 15 amp plug should not neee 10ga

go to an electrical supply house Skip google and go to a sticks and bricks electrical supply house. If you can take the cord, or a couple inches of it, with you.

Sorry, SlowBro is slow. You said electrical supply house, I heard hardware store.

Called an actual electrical supply house and aHa! Leviton 5266-C can support 10 AWG and it’s about $10.

Problem solved.

Just bought a couple 15A replacement plugs at Homie Depot and used them on 10ga cord.
Not a problem.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
SlowBro wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

go to an electrical supply house Skip google and go to a sticks and bricks electrical supply house. If you can take the cord, or a couple inches of it, with you.

Called an actual electrical supply house and aHa! Leviton 5266-C can support 10 AWG and it’s about $10.

Problem solved.
Interesting that the Leviton and Hubbell have the same part number.

For some reason, wiring device part numbers are frequently the same or similar among different manufacturers.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SlowBro wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Problem solved.
Interesting that the Leviton and Hubbell have the same part number.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Remember that you may not be able to run everything. Air conditioner may trip shore power supply breaker.
Hope it works out for you! Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
The Hubbell plug will take #10 stranded wire with nickel plated clamp.

Cord Grip Range .230" - .720" (5.8 - 18.3mm)

https://www.stayonline.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=D6AC1C5C9D9C45019443C08AB1920082

Also available in 90 degree.

Also a very good option.
God bless!

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:

Sorry, SlowBro is slow. You said electrical supply house, I heard hardware store.

Problem solved.
God bless!

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

/\ /\ /\ /\ THIS!!!

you want something like this with a wire range of 18-10 ga
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/5266-cg
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SlowBro wrote:
I've stretched out Google (edit: and also checked a Lowe’s) but can't seem to find any replacement plug heads for what I am pretty sure is a 10 AWG extension cord which came with our used RV. (Edit: The jacket does not list the wire gauge.) Best I can find is 12 AWG. The plug head is missing the ground pin which causes it to slip out of the outlet too easily. I'm hesitant to cut the outer casing to confirm it's 10 AWG but the diameter is about 9/16ths of an inch which matches what I've seen 10 AWG cord is. And I don't want to cut the head to attempt to mate it with the common 12 AWG replacement heads because if it doesn't fit, it would ruin it.

So. Anyone know of 10 AWG replacement plug heads?

Standard replacement NEMA 15A rated plugs will generally accept larger than 12Ga wire as long as it is a clamping arrangement.

I just mated a cheapo Harbor Freight NEMA 15A plug to a piece of 10 Ga building wire and it fits and clamps fine.

Here is pix of the plug and wire..

Although, I wouldn't suggest using a HF plug for this application since you are using as an extension cord for your RV as they are pretty cheesy on design quality.

For your application, any of the name brand plugs found at Home Depot or Lowes should work fine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Should have said that the individual wires do not have gauge shown inside cable.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hubbell plug will take #10 stranded wire with nickel plated clamp.

Cord Grip Range .230" - .720" (5.8 - 18.3mm)

https://www.stayonline.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=D6AC1C5C9D9C45019443C08AB1920082

Also available in 90 degree.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
many like this will accept the fine stranded number 10 wire. Cord body
A 20 amp cord body will not fit into a 15 amp receptacle. Blades have different configuration.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I drilled out the cord access to accept #10 wire. I used one of the plugs that works like a clam shell. It has screw terminals.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I’ll slice the jacket lengthwise and look for wire labeling on that. Wish they had followed convention and put the label on the jacket.
God bless!