Explorer
Any experiences here?

https://www.simplyconnect.ca/
11 REPLIES 11

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
You may want to consider using a US service (like AT&T) in Canada as well as the US, AT&T pairs with Rogers in Canada and they have good data quantities with a one month roll over for unused data.

I tried AT&T for data plan on my tablet before my last CDN trip. It was a nightmare. I had no internet but a strong cell signal, their support knew nothing, said there was nothing I could do, blamed me, I had to fight to get my money back.
I Gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried it again for the next trip with their recommended plan. No better, the only saving grace was I knew the secret phrase to get a refund faster this time. When you factor in the exchange rate the initial savings is considerably eroded.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Almost. I do not know how att calculates their limit. I do not think it has anything to do with data. It is phone calls and somewhere it is in the contract Might depend on the plan. This is quite common. Canadian truckers complain all the time.My Roger's plan gives me unlimited text and talk in the US with 15g of data $85.00

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had T-Mobile. Two of the four devices were in USA. After 90 days T-Mobile helped me unlock the phones in Canada and closed the account for the devices.

The two in USA continued.

I suppose a work around would have been to mail sim cards back and forth.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Att will not allow you to use your phone more in Canada than in the USA.

Are you referring to time, data usage or phone usage in Canada? I can tell you that my experience (multi year) is different. I'm not a heavy data user but on some months I have used my data allotment. Anyways, Canadians can't (legally) spend more time in the US than Canada unless risking border patrol issues or having their world wide income (including Canada) being taxed by the IRS.

As a comment to the OP, Simply Connect used to be Sears Connect before Sears departed the scene. They are a Rogers company under another name, their rates are a bit better than Rogers for Canadian service, I use them for an emergency phone. Can't comment on what they provide for the US.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Att will not allow you to use your phone more in Canada than in the USA.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider using a US service (like AT&T) in Canada as well as the US, AT&T pairs with Rogers in Canada and they have good data quantities with a one month roll over for unused data.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mcewena,

Yes, the competition with Sasktel is pretty fierce.

imo we pay far too much for our cell phone service.

Telus has unlimited data--but there is a gottcha. They don't have unlimited tethering. I can't imagine watching netflix on a cell phone screen.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I should have said: I wasn't thinking of this primarily for US travel but as a replacement of my current Telus voice/text only plan. It's just this is the only forum I belong to with the right demographic ๐Ÿ™‚ (CDNs over 50).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My only data access is via cell phones. I am on Sasktel and Bell. Both have unlimited data which throttles. Both roam to USA and Bell has data there. I can add USA data to the Sasktel. Not much point in that this year, however.
Regards, Don

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It doesn't appear to be much of a bargain from a data point of view.

It operates on the Rogers network.

Do you mean in terms of domestic CDN data or roaming? The latter I would tend to agree, I haven't found anything else that would give me 2 lines and "some" data for much under $100 though. Kodo was close but it was a "sign up now" offer. (I can't get those sweetheart SK deals).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It doesn't appear to be much of a bargain from a data point of view.

It operates on the Rogers network.

Here is a list of all the Simply plans:

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Carriers/Simply-Connect
Regards, Don