Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WILL IT WORK

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
I am looking to possibly buy a 1997 Jayco Sportster 9 1/2.
My question is, I have a 2008 F150 Super cab 2 wheel drive and a 6.5" bed, will this camper ride OK on my truck?
Thanks in advance,
JIM
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cewillis wrote:
Jayco Sportster 9 1/2.

If that means 9.5 feet, is it the length that sits in the truck bed, or the total length? 9.5 feet in the truck bed is a pretty long camper, and definitely too long for a 6.5 bed (not even considering the weight)

Likely too long, yes. Definitely, no.

There are plenty of 11.5-12' long campers in 8' truck beds.
It's more dependent on the weight dist of the camper, structural integrity of the camper in the area that would overhang and whether the tailgate can be left in place to help support it.

Still too much camper for the truck, weight wise though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco Sportster 9 1/2.

If that means 9.5 feet, is it the length that sits in the truck bed, or the total length? 9.5 feet in the truck bed is a pretty long camper, and definitely too long for a 6.5 bed (not even considering the weight)
Cal

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
We need to know the weights, but my guess is not. A 9 1/2 TC is probably in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs or more. Probably way over the tire/axle rating of your truck.

In comparison, the highest rated 150s at most usually carry stripped down 6 1/2 TCs.

Ditto.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not worth finding out.....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Negative ghostrider.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Way too much camper for your truck, it will easily be in the 3,000 lb plus range so a HD 2500 or 3500 series truck.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long bed camper on a short bed truck and the weight of the camper is a BAD combination.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Probably not.
With a 9.5 camper on a 6.5 bed, all of the camper weight will likely go to the rear axle.
Weigh your truck with a full tank of gas and all passengers that you plan to carry while camping, otherwise empty. Remove tailgate if you like. Get individual axle weights.
Find axle ratings on door sticker.
The difference between the stated rawr and the actual empty weight on the rear axle will give you an idea of the actual carrying capacity.
Note that any stated "dry weight" of the camper will be very far off the actual weight.
Truck Camping Lesson #1: once weighed, everything is heavier than you thought it would be...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We need to know the weights, but my guess is not. A 9 1/2 TC is probably in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs or more. Probably way over the tire/axle rating of your truck.

In comparison, the highest rated 150s at most usually carry stripped down 6 1/2 TCs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member