cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Limp mode in Ford diesel vehicles - how prevalent?

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
A number of Ford Transit 350 HD B and C owners have apparently experienced engine issues that cause it to go into Limp mode. I am wondering it is somewhat common issue in the Ford super duty pickups, too.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad
6 REPLIES 6

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
This is what my post is asking about.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/diesel-exhaust-fluid-sensor-failures-sideline-thousands-trucks
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost all of my friends own diesel trucks. Only the ones with Dodges have had the problem, especially on 2021 trucks. The local Dodge dealer had so many of them with problems it them a month to get to the last friend.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I believe that the Transit only comes with the small 3.5 engines and are not at all like the Super Duty.

Yes, the Transit 350 HD is a 3.2L turbo diesel, but the emissions controls are all similar in all diesel engines... with the stupid Limp mode required for all detected emissions failures, be they actual, or just sensor problems.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Considering they donโ€™t run any of the same engines or transmissions, there probably isnโ€™t any relationship between the 2 models and issues they may have.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the Transit only comes with the small 3.5 engines and are not at all like the Super Duty.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Ford F350 SuperDuty 6.0 Diesel. About 13 years ago an "over boost" condition(my fault) sent it in Limp Mode. I babied it to a point where I could pull off the road and it came out of Limp Mode after I shut off the engine and subsequently restarted it. Ford replaced the turbo under warranty. Hasn't ever gone into Limp Mode again.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman