cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC to DC charger

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
hey all, I am thinking of putting a 30a charger in my truck to charge the LiFePO4 batteries in my rig.

Is there any kind of formula about how many amps the charger can be by how much your alternator produces? I have a 270a alternator so thinking I'll be more than fine.
5 REPLIES 5

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
WE run a victron 12-12-30 amp DC to DC charger, no problems.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp on my 2019 Chevy with a 270 amp alternator charging four Trojan T-105s and have had no issues.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The charger should be a close to the batteries as possible. If you are connecting to the 7 way trailer harness those are usually fused for 40A - 50Awhich is fine. No need to over size that wire.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ll be fine. The DC.DC charger can pull as much as 50% more than itโ€™s rated output. Size the input cables according to the mfgrโ€™s recommendation for the length of the circuit.

The charger should be placed as close as possible to the battery itโ€™s charging, not the truck starting battery.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

AlcoholFreeRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DC-DC charger in my RV to charge from the truck. It's connected to the battery, not the alternator. the max draw from the battery is 150% of the charger capacity (ours is 60 charger, so 90 at the battery. We have dual truck betteries and like 397A alternator in F350 Super Duty) I cant tell you for certain you'd be fine, but I certainly would feel comfortable installing a 30A charger with a 270A alternator