cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

who's towing with gas and 342 vs 373

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Just putting the feelers out; who's towing 14k with GM gas, 6.6 and with 373 or 342. How do you like it, How don't you like it. ???
12 REPLIES 12

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
All good info here and I appreciate all. to add to the info. I do have a fifth wheel with the typical height, mine is right at 13 ft also have pulled it cross country twice, once with a 2010 6.0 3:73, and a different fifth wheel with the same truck. both times I struggled a bit while climbing, but of course that wasn't constant. Wolf Creek pass, and a few others slowed me down, but overall, I had no issues. Now with the 6.0 and 4:10 that I have, we have done the west coast and multiple northern Arizona trips without issues except a little slow down while climbing. either way, a few slowdowns aren't a big deal. In addition, my local dealer has sold a few trucks that those folks went from diesel to gas with their order. AND OH, Peoria Arizona for our home. as far as the truck, most likely will step up to the 3500, I guess I am GM preferenced, new word of the day. Thanks have a great day.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BarneyS wrote:
I have had two diesel trucks. I didn't find either one to be complicated or temperamental. One was a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 PSD and the other, and my favorite, is the 2016 Ram Cummins TD pictured in my signature. Both trucks ran flawlessly for thousands of trouble free miles and gave excellent towing performance.

The cost of an oil change was higher ($55-$90) because of the amount of oil in the crankcase (16 quarts if I recall correctly). Other then that, the diesels didn't cost anymore to maintain than my previous gas engines. Of course they do cost more up front though but that is a slight disadvantage, in my opinion, compared to the improved towing performance that they give.
Barney

Cmon Barney, you know diesels canโ€™t make it to the state line without having issuesโ€ฆ.
Just ask rvnet!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jffnkrn wrote:
yeah 6 speed tranny with manual for hill climbing and descending. In the other trucks, I would run in 5th to keep it from trying to go into overdrive/6

5th is OD is well, FYI.
Whether youโ€™re pulling in an OD, direct or an under drive gear is mostly a function of can the engine and gears pull it. Gone are the days of OD gears not being able to handle stock power. That hasnโ€™t been an issue since the 90s ish.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had two diesel trucks. I didn't find either one to be complicated or temperamental. One was a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 PSD and the other, and my favorite, is the 2016 Ram Cummins TD pictured in my signature. Both trucks ran flawlessly for thousands of trouble free miles and gave excellent towing performance.

The cost of an oil change was higher ($55-$90) because of the amount of oil in the crankcase (16 quarts if I recall correctly). Other then that, the diesels didn't cost anymore to maintain than my previous gas engines. Of course they do cost more up front though but that is a slight disadvantage, in my opinion, compared to the improved towing performance that they give.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can get anything but the 3.73.

I too am curious how these gas engines do towing heavy. My 2005 Duramax is at 292,000 miles and I'm thinking of replacing it in a year or so. I don't usually tow more than about 14,000 with the truck loaded to about 10,000 with my tools. I'm undecided if I really want one of these new, complicated, temperamental, expensive diesels. I can't find much real world info on people using the gas trucks for work and towing on a regular basis.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Not a 6.0/6.6 V8...
But pulling 8000 with a 6sp/4.3 V6, I had no issues pulling 55 mph on a 3-4% grade in 4th. Ie basically direct at 1.05. 3500rpm or there about. I have a 285/300 motor.

Marty

Apples and tomatoes though. Take your 4ton flatbed and turn it into an 8x12x30โ€™ long box and take the same hill with a little headwind and report back.
Those 4.3s are stout little motors, but I presumed the OP would have a high profile trailer if heโ€™s talking 14klbs and his location and intended use is typically wonderfully unspecific, like a lot of queries here.
And since thereโ€™s at least a half dozen states with towns named Peoria (or peoria as entered in his profile), a 200mi radius around Peoria IL or IN is wholly different than the same around Peoria AZ or CO.

Great to be marginally equipped if itโ€™s all one can afford or chooses to spend, but OP is talking about new trucks and $60k for a rig that performs marginally, doesnโ€™t make a lot of sense to me. Nor may it to the OP who obviously doesnโ€™t have the experience, if asking the question.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mostly depends on how you feel about running rpms when needed.. Let the thing rev when you need the power. Trans will downshift on it's own, but locking out top gears is good for the flats, as lugging or bogging any engine is not good either..

I've got an 3.5 Ecoboost, 6 speed and 3.73 rear gears towing a #7000 TT.

It likes the flats in 5th and the grades in 4th. Never need to 'mat' the pedal unless passing and need that extra power 'right now' and it responds wonderfully. ๐Ÿ™‚

With a big V8, they still like the rpms, so just don't be afraid to use it. You'll figure out over time what works best for your combo. Actually, you should find that running around 500-600 more rpms on the flats will net you better mpg's then bogging it when loaded..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

blt2ski
Not a 6.0/6.6 V8...
But pulling 8000 with a 6sp/4.3 V6, I had no issues pulling 55 mph on a 3-4% grade in 4th. Ie basically direct at 1.05. 3500rpm or there about. I have a 285/300 motor.

I don't think the naysayers realize that a 350-400hp gas motor will pull most trailers fine.
Elevation as noted, above 5-6000', you will notice the typical 3% HP drop per 1000'. Unlike a turbo/super charged motor you will not not HP loss until 8-10,000 feet. If in the Rockies ALOT, get a forced induction motor. A once in a lifetime trip, a gas will get you from point A to B safe and sanely. Just slower.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
yeah 6 speed tranny with manual for hill climbing and descending. In the other trucks, I would run in 5th to keep it from trying to go into overdrive/6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
What transmission ?

Can you manually drop it down 1 or 2 gears for hills ?

It wonโ€™t pull 14k high profile trailer in 6th gear on flat roads unless thereโ€™s a tailwind.
Of course you can drop gears. Hasnโ€™t been an auto trans that canโ€™t since the inception of them that Iโ€™m aware of.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
First, you canโ€™t get 3.42s in a HD gasser and I believe I read 3.73 is now the only final drive option for the gassers. Which is really about the same as a 6.0 4.10 setup from the previous model. Not a huge leap in power anyway.

Towing 14k high profile trailer will be ok at low altitude and decent in the flatlands. Will struggle with big grades, you wonโ€™t maintain freeway speeds and will be really underpowered for high altitude + grades.

A lot of money to spend on a truck that wonโ€™t pull as well as a 15 year old Duramax.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
What transmission ?

Can you manually drop it down 1 or 2 gears for hills ?