Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: who's towing with gas and 342 vs 373
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> who's towing with gas and 342 vs 373

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:

yeah 6 speed tranny with manual for hill climbing and descending. In the other trucks, I would run in 5th to keep it from trying to go into overdrive/6

5th is OD is well, FYI.
Whether you’re pulling in an OD, direct or an under drive gear is mostly a function of can the engine and gears pull it. Gone are the days of OD gears not being able to handle stock power. That hasn’t been an issue since the 90s ish.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

I have had two diesel trucks. I didn't find either one to be complicated or temperamental. One was a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 PSD and the other, and my favorite, is the 2016 Ram Cummins TD pictured in my signature. Both trucks ran flawlessly for thousands of trouble free miles and gave excellent towing performance.

The cost of an oil change was higher ($55-$90) because of the amount of oil in the crankcase (16 quarts if I recall correctly). Other then that, the diesels didn't cost anymore to maintain than my previous gas engines. Of course they do cost more up front though but that is a slight disadvantage, in my opinion, compared to the improved towing performance that they give.
Barney

Cmon Barney, you know diesels can’t make it to the state line without having issues….
Just ask rvnet!

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good info here and I appreciate all. to add to the info. I do have a fifth wheel with the typical height, mine is right at 13 ft also have pulled it cross country twice, once with a 2010 6.0 3:73, and a different fifth wheel with the same truck. both times I struggled a bit while climbing, but of course that wasn't constant. Wolf Creek pass, and a few others slowed me down, but overall, I had no issues. Now with the 6.0 and 4:10 that I have, we have done the west coast and multiple northern Arizona trips without issues except a little slow down while climbing. either way, a few slowdowns aren't a big deal. In addition, my local dealer has sold a few trucks that those folks went from diesel to gas with their order. AND OH, Peoria Arizona for our home. as far as the truck, most likely will step up to the 3500, I guess I am GM preferenced, new word of the day. Thanks have a great day.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> who's towing with gas and 342 vs 373
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.