cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of new Arctic Fox TC

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I finished the install of my Torklift 30k lb SuperHitch and rear tiedowns yesterday as well as the Timbrens on my 21 Ram 3500 DRW. Installed the front tiedowns last week.
I’ve used Happijack successfully for years on other trucks, but I’m very impressed with the Torklift hitch and tiedowns. These things are Beefy and Solid.
The directions were spot on and the install went very smoothly.
I had to remove the rear bumper to install the hitch. I almost went with the Happijack rear tiedowns that fasten to the bumper but so glad I didn’t.
The rear bumper on a 1ton DRW is almost all plastic and probably didn’t weigh 20 lbs.
I would have destroyed that on the first trip. Time for a Buckstop bumper.
Now, I able to seriously look for a new camper. Unfortunately, the supply isn’t like it used to me.
I want a 9-10’ single slide like a Lance 981 or AF990.
I’m going to look at a 2019 AF990 in like new condition tomorrow.
I’ve read some reviews complaining about delamination issues on AF truck campers.
I think this was on older models and the issue was addressed on the newer ones.
Anyone have a newer AF or know of any issues to be aware of?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
24 REPLIES 24

Bedlam
No, mine is a 2018 delivered in 2017 and I have not seen any Host's with center markers up front. They do have the ones in the rear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
If your camper does not have them, you truck should so you are legal based on width. Camper manufacturers targeting the SRW market need something in place to keep lighting in compliance but not those selling to the DRW owners.

Of course, my F450 has marker lights on the cab. Bedlam, does your newer Host have clearance lights. I just looked at Host website a while ago. The pictures I noticed didn’t have any.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
If your camper does not have them, you truck should so you are legal based on width. Camper manufacturers targeting the SRW market need something in place to keep lighting in compliance but not those selling to the DRW owners.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting about the clearance lights leaking on so many brands. I’ve wondered lately why my Host and current Hosts don’t have front clearance lights, or are able to get by without them.

Since it seems to be cause of most front delaminations, or water seepage on Bigfoots, etc. I think it is worth the effort to proactively fill the large holes if you have a TC with front clearance lights, especially.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slymer wrote:
VERY good point. Especially on point considering the prices these units are going for. I am waiting for someone to develop a clear spray sealer that you can use annually around all your clearance lights, etc. Would be so much easier than replacing caulking.

You have hit on a one of my pet peeves. There are 3/4" diameter holes behind my clearance lights so wires and wire nuts could be pushed through. There was no attempt to seal the holes. Instead the entire fixture needs to have caulk around it. Nonsense. There should be a 1/8" hole with two wires that connect to a sealed fixture.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
.... I am waiting for someone to develop a clear spray sealer ....

As seen on TV....

But wait, there's more...

(The above links are meant to be for amusement purposes only. No direct evidence or correlation to an actual clear spray sealer for the use on RV's to make them totally and entirely waterproof is express or intended. )

😉 :B
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
VERY good point. Especially on point considering the prices these units are going for. I am waiting for someone to develop a clear spray sealer that you can use annually around all your clearance lights, etc. Would be so much easier than replacing caulking.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Delam problems I've seen are all because people didn't keep them from leaking.......

Do you have to spend a great deal of time and effort making sure your car does not leak? Why is it that we accept this strange notion for RVs? They should be built so they do not leak and so they do not need constant inspections trying to avoid small, hidden leaks that create havoc.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Define "trouble closing the door".

Find where the problem is and see if you can fix it yourself.
It might be as easy as adjusting the striker plate on the door frame.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
Make sure the camper is sitting level in the bed. If it is uneven on one corner, it may be twisting the frame. You can check this out by disconnecting the turnbuckles and raising the camper slightly off the bed. If the door now clears the opening, start looking what may be between the camper and truck that is causing it to twist.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an 8 month old AF from an individual and on the way home I had trouble closing the entry door. I heard Boardman rv in Pueblo West Co was a big AF dealer so I stopped in to see if I could get it fixed. The salesman informed me "we don't work on what we don't sell".I intend to call Northwood to see if any of their dealers work on all AF T/Cs.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
FireGuard wrote:
To nitpick something, they could have installed a low profile A/C and made a shorter TV antenna it it would have reduce the overall height by 6-8”.

Ultra low profile A/C is only about 4" shorter.
I've had one on order from a RV supply wholesaler since about May. No idea when that warehouse will get it. It's the same place that supplies RV dealers all over the country with parts and accessories.

Here's the one I installed on my 2010 AF 811
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree on the TV antenna (aka mushroom) every time I go off road I'm just waiting for it to catch on a tree branch. 3 years so good so far...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Photoposting isn’t that hard any more. Follow the instructions on the site that was made for posting pics. http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2