cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TRAVEL LITE 800 SBX ON HALF TON

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Is their anyone that has put a TRAVEL LITE 800 SBX ON HALF TON pick up?
I have the chance to get a 2010 Travel Lite 800 sbx for a good price. I have a 2008 Ford F150 Super Cab two wheel drive with a 6.5' bed. Trying to find out if these are a good fit.
14 REPLIES 14

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, the camper weighs 1740 lb,s truck, Rear Axel GAWR 3800
Front axel GAWR 3450 GVWR 6700 That is all I have for now.

That enough for how much weight the truck can carry in the bed on the rear axle.
Actual scaled front and rear axle weights work best.
Many F150 owners report their trucks rear axle scales in the 2300-2500 lb range depending on how each truck is configured. This leaves approx 1300-1500 lbs for a in the bed payload.
Some folks mod the truck to carry more weight ie; higher capacity tires/wheels and rear spring pack help.
Fords F150 3800 lb rating is one of the smaller gawr Ford offers. Moving up is a 4050...4550...4800 rawrs.
The F150HDPP has the 4800 rawr and is good for around 2500 lbs in the bed.
Weigh the trucks F&R axles so you can figure a matching weight camper.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
" Unless you plan on sitting in the camper cold, naked, and hungry, "

Sorry, I am to old, crippled up, and fat to be doing that shxx.

But THANKS.

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
RV Jim wrote:
I have the chance to get a 2010 Travel Lite 800 sbx for a good price. I have a 2008 Ford F150 Super Cab two wheel drive with a 6.5' bed. Trying to find out if these are a good fit.

Do you have any info on the weight of the TC? Also, do you have any details on the payload for your truck?

Hi, the camper weighs 1740 lb,s truck, Rear Axel GAWR 3800
Front axel GAWR 3450 GVWR 6700 That is all I have for now.

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, there's quite a few 2021 F150 models that have 2200-2300 lb+ payloads, even much higher with a few packages.

Like I said, I'm in the same boat with a similar weight camper. I'm evaluating whether an F150 with one of the higher payload ratings, plus a couple suspension tweaks, might be enough for my needs.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan on sitting in the camper cold, naked, and hungry,

How to fix many overweight issues -- I like it! (for thee, not me)
Cal

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The brochure I found for Travel Lite lists the 800SBX at 1750lb dry weight.

Most Ford F150s have less than 1750lbs of payload capacity, so you're in a hole right out of the gate. Unless you plan on sitting in the camper cold, naked, and hungry, you will need things like water, propane, food, clothing, etc.. Also any optional equipment such as AC will increase the weight even more.

I would not doubt that by the time all is said and done you are looking at all of 2500lbs for that camper.

You will need to upgrade wheels, tires, add helper springs and airbags at minmum, and you still might not be happy with how it handles. It has been done, and people will tell you they do it and it's Just Fine(tm) and No Problems(tm). Tastes vary, though, and some people are just more tolerant of certain things than others. Only way you'll know is to try.

But, it is an awful lot of camper for an F150.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP..Fords F150 come with several different GVWR packages ranging from a small 6XXX lbs up to 8200 gvwr on older models...and small 3200 lb up to 4800 lb rawr.
Payloads can run from 1200 with the 6xxx gvwr truck up to around 2400-2500 lbs with the F150HDPP truck.

Will it work....depends on your F150 gvwr/rawr numbers and the TCs length and dry weight.

If you can't find anyone with the same F150 as yours and same TC your looking at give us some numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the verification. I have copied my response for later use on the towing and travel trailer forums. Save me a lot of future typing. Cheers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RV Jim
Why people ask you to post alll the weights when it takes less time to google it than to ask the question, is beyond me. But that camper will work on your truck with the following caveats.
Truck in good condition, itโ€™s older.
E load tires.
Suspension mods and sway bar.
9.75 axle not 8.8
Dont pack real heavy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Need to know a lot more info from you such as both dry weight and authorized total gross weight when fully loaded of both the trailer and then the truck. .

This is the truck camper forum not the travel trailer forum.

Seeems to be a common theme with the TC keyboard warriors today!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a similar boat as you, trying to pick a truck to go with a camper I bought. I came to the conclusion after seeking advice, that an F150, even one of the higher load capacities, wasn't enough for the camper I bought, which has a dry weight of 1795 lbs. It appears your camper weighs a couple hundred more lbs than that dry.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV Jim wrote:

Do you have any info on the weight of the TC? Also, do you have any details on the payload for your truck?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Need to know a lot more info from you such as both dry weight and authorized total gross weight when fully loaded of both the trailer and then the truck. .

This is the truck camper forum not the travel trailer forum.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to know a lot more info from you such as both dry weight and authorized total gross weight when fully loaded of both the trailer and then the truck. What is the total weight your truck is allowed to pull with a WDH system and also limit of the tow hitch of the truck with and without WDH. Need to know the authorized COMBINED gross weight limit of both truck and trailer when hooked together (GCAVW). Also tongue weight of trailer both dry empty weight and when fully loaded (authorized). You can find some of this info on the truck by looking at the inside door post drivers side of your truck. Do you have a class III or IV truck hitch. A class IV can carry a lot more and pull more weight than a III using a WDH and even without a WDH. If you are towing in high mountains then will need a lot more truck than towing on flat plains of Iowa.

The trailer weight limits are usually on a sticker inside one of the upper or lower kitchen cabinet doors or looking at the floor plan on the manufacturer's or RV dealer's website for your model trailer. Tongue weight limits of the trailer are usually stamped on the trailer tongue somewhere and hard to read sometimes.

Size and type of truck tires are important to know their weight limits. A truck LT tire can carry more weight (usually) than a P or passenger truck tire depending on type and load rating. Authorized total weight of the tires installed at the factory for the truck are again on the inside door post drivers side. However, tires now on your truck my be different size and type than what was installed as OEM, etc. Weight limits of tires are also on the tire itself.

Size of truck engine and transmission along with the rear end axle differential size such as 3.55 or 3.49 or 3.21, etc. are very important. Higher the number better for towing heavy trailers but less gas mileage (usually)

You can weigh your truck empty or with usual load at CAT scales found at all truck stops. Same for the trailer. CAT scales are your friend.

Maybe you get lucky and find someone here who has exact same truck towing exact same trailer. This info may be useful to others if not the OP.