Explorer
Explorer
have to replace my portable 50 amp surge guard what does everybody like
12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:
went with the hughes watch dog 50 amp epo like the bluetooth feature but only has a 15 foot range

That is my Hangup with it. Mine is located in the drivers rear compartment. At 37 feet I canโ€™t even get a signal from it in the living area. Or sitting under the awning. I have to be in the bathroom or bedroom to get it. Same for outside. Need to be under the passenger slideout or closer. The Bluetooth is nice but useless if I canโ€™t use it 75% of the time. Now I only connect to it when we go to bed or if I want to see how many amps Iโ€™m pulling or the voltage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
went with the hughes watch dog 50 amp epo like the bluetooth feature but only has a 15 foot range

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Progressive Industries 50 amp unit, first generation. Had it since 2006, 3 different units now. Never a problem
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
xx
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh how I had my RV wired (Alas it's toast for other reasons)

Shore---Hughes Autoformer---Southwire Hard wired surge guard adapted to plug in (There is a reason for this. but it only applies in this type of install) with remote... That way if I was in an "Anemic" park (I've seen voltages below 100) the Hughes boosted it (Swapping amps for volts) so the TRC/Surge guard was happy...

Then it went to teh Auto transfer switch and from there to the RIG. WHY before theATS.. Don't need that stuff on ONAN power. ONAN has it's own protection.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I would look at Hughes.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Iโ€™ve got the Watchdog 50A hardwired. Has worked great. Once it warned of a dead leg at a pedestal. The other time it shut down power due to over voltage (129V). Reset it and it showed voltage at 127. This was in the middle of the night when power consumption was low, so voltage spiked.

Itโ€™s blue tooth so it showed up on my phone within a second of turning off.

Mine is a portable model. Already paid for itself. Last June in a small park. Very hot afternoon arrival and only one spot available. Every air conditioner in the park was running. Shortly after hooking up our Watchdog shut off the 50-amp power. The code showed low voltage. Park managerโ€™s meter showed 108 volts. IIRC, the Watchdog shuts down at 107. I was offered a refund for the minimal 50-amp charge and survived on one A/C unit plugged into 30-amps with adapter.

We all know that running A/C units on low voltage isnโ€™t good.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Surge guard.. Progressive Insustries PTX-50C
Or the equivlant Southwire/TRC Surge Guard brand product
These are the top end devices. that monitor voltage and other thigns not just three light devices
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Still like Surge Guard. Works great!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got the Watchdog 50A hardwired. Has worked great. Once it warned of a dead leg at a pedestal. The other time it shut down power due to over voltage (129V). Reset it and it showed voltage at 127. This was in the middle of the night when power consumption was low, so voltage spiked.

Itโ€™s blue tooth so it showed up on my phone within a second of turning off.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hughes
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
This one
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.