Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ryobi 2300 generator keeps overloading

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 Coachman Catalina.

I bought Ryobi 2300 Inverter generator. My intent is to run small stuff, like the LCD TV, lights and my work laptops.

When I plugged the generator into my 30amp trailer connection, it overloaded the generator. The AC was not on.

Why is my trailer drawing so much load? I had to turn off the GFI in the breaker panel box because it was causing an overload.

I can get the fireplace heater to run but not the TV.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

33 REPLIES 33

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

The OP may have replied three years ago but is probably gone now.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

NightOwl420
Explorer
Explorer

Am I the only one who has noticed that they have to pause between pulls when starting their Ryobi 2300? If I pull non-stop repeatedly, it will not start, even if I pull the **bleep** thing as many times as I have the strength to pull. Then I pause, catch my breathe, give one weak one fingered pull, (not even using my whole hand) and the **bleep** thing starts right up. 

It does the exact same thing if I pull it once and pause, or pull a hundred times and pause, it always starts so easy after the pause but, never starts before the pause. WTF is going on here?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the past 15 years, I have had two honda 2000's, one champion 3100 and a Ryobi 2200. These were used mainly to power our ice house in MN during ice fishing season. For the most part, I cannot say anything bad about any of them. The Honda was for the most part always dependable. Until we started using synthetic oil, it was a bear to start in weather below 0. One thing the honda always had trouble with was staying running in windy conditions below zero. We spent the New Years weekend up on Red lake one year in -20 with wind. Teh honda quit running about 10 hours in. Luckily, I had the Champion with as a backup. It ran fine for the next 48 hours. Just used more gas. We had a couple of issues with the Honda and when it was time to replace it, I bought the Ryobi 2200 at home depot. They had a sale and I got it for under $400. Put a 6-year warranty on it for an extra $50. I have now used it three winters. It runs 6-8 weekends a year for about 60 hours per weekend. Pluses-

When I use the pizza oven, the satellite tv does not cut out when the oven kicks on. With the honda, it shut off temporarily and then I had to wait about 5 minutes while it rebooted.

With the 1.1 gallon gas tank, it will run 11+ hours on a tank of gas on low use load. The honda needed filling every 8 hours. MAy not sound like a big deal, but if you went to bed at 10:00 pm, you may need to go out at 5:00 am in -25 to fill it. Ryobi would run until sunrise.

Minuses
If the Ryobi was not started every other week, it could take 15+ pulls to start. Honda would usually start in 3-4 pulls after switching to synthetic oil.

I'm not saying the e Ryobi is better, but it does what I need it to do. IF I stayed on the lake all winter, I would probably have the new Honda 2200. But for now, the Ryobi does everything I need .

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
So it wasnโ€™t blowing the breaker on the generator?

Grit Dog- No sir..it just revved really high and the LCD display said "overload"

I got my Ryobi for $629 at Home Depot plus 10% military/ veteran discount.

Seems like it is running good.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Apples to apples comparison..

I2200 Honda specs HERE

"AC Output 120V 2200W max. (18.3A), 1800W rated (15A) "

Ryobi 2200W inverter gen HERE

"2200 Starting Watts/ 1800 Running Watts

Honda i2200 price, $1200

Ryobi 2200 Inverter gen price, $900

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a Ryobi "fan", hate their cheapo power tools, they would rather sell complete new cordless drill sets at a lower price than what they sell replacement battery packs for and their battery packs tend to die quickly forcing you to continually buy new cordless drill sets..

I will not buy Ryobi tools of any sort but there are plenty of other brands to choose from that are better for the same price as Ryobi and far less expensive than say a Honda gen.

Note with all this research the OP has a 2300.

BTW I have a few Ryobi items and they have been great.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
JMO...while the Honda gens have been the gold standard for years, others ARE catching up, and for much less.

I bought a Champ several years ago. It is quiet, works great with 2K startup, and 1600 running. Champion is much cheaper than red/blue, has unbeatable customer support, often even after the warranty has expired.

Ryobi may be moving forward as well, but I doubt they will match the others, all things considered. There are several similar brands of gens, that get good reviews.

Jerry

I have had my Champion inverter gen for 9 nine years. Without a problem except for one time when I messed up. The service department sent me the part I messed up for free even after the warranty had expired 5 years previous. Will Honda do that?

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try to turn off the "auto idle mode"

It is a kind of economy setting. Like lower watt output.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JMO...while the Honda gens have been the gold standard for years, others ARE catching up, and for much less.

I bought a Champ several years ago. It is quiet, works great with 2K startup, and 1600 running. Champion is much cheaper than red/blue, has unbeatable customer support, often even after the warranty has expired.

Ryobi may be moving forward as well, but I doubt they will match the others, all things considered. There are several similar brands of gens, that get good reviews.

Jerry

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support
No you're not. You're paying for performance, quiet, and quality so you rarely if ever need warranty support.

x2 The Honda 2200 has the largest engine in this size genny, 121cc. The Ryobi 2300 has a 80cc. It makes a difference when putting a load on it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support
No you're not. You're paying for performance, quiet, and quality so you rarely if ever need warranty support.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
I2200 Honda specs....
What the specs say and what the generators actually do are often two different things. You get what you pay for.

Honda does not "over spec" the output, fair chance uses the same size breaker as a Ryobi.

There are times where you do not "get what you pay for" and this is one of those times.

Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support, much of the extra cost comes from the fact that Honda has a dealer parts and repair network to support and it costs a lot of money to keep a dealer parts supply system running.

Ryobi, warranty and dealer/parts support are non existent and you are expected to diagnose the issue online or by phone, then if covered by warranty you either send entire item back to them and they replace entire item or they may send you a part and you install it. Sometimes under warranty they may just send you a complete new or refurbed item and expect you to dispose of the broken item at your cost.

I personally do not live my life by buying for warranty sake, I don't buy extended warranties, so I have no "need" to buy a more expensive Honda when I can buy less expensive "clones" of a Honda..

So far, this has worked out very well for me since all of my gens are Honda clones bought for far less than a Honda and the oldest is now 20 yrs old and the only issue is the Honda designed carb which is highly prone to the jet clogging..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jonaz wrote:
So it looks like the Circuit Breaker panel was mislabeled. I turned everything off and started to turn everything on. I flipped the switch for Microwave and FP OPT and now I get 120 volt AC and my TV works. Which is the only thing that I really wanted (for work).

The Ryobi 2300 inverter generator is rated at 20 amps. It is only 57 decibels but it seems as loud as my Harbor Freight 3500 Predator Inverter generator.

I only bought this Ryobi 2300 because it is only about 50 lbs and I can lift it into the back of my lifted Dodge Ram. My Predator weighs about 100lbs and I really have to strain to get it lifted high enough by myself onto the back tail gate. Not saying that I cant lift 100 lbs but going from waist level to chest level with that thing takes a little bit.

So it wasnโ€™t blowing the breaker on the generator?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
I2200 Honda specs....
What the specs say and what the generators actually do are often two different things. You get what you pay for.

True storyโ€ฆ.
$900 for a 2kw Ryobi?? Whatโ€™s this world coming to? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
I2200 Honda specs....
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman