Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Ryobi 2300 generator keeps overloading
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ryobi 2300 generator keeps overloading

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

I2200 Honda specs....
What the specs say and what the generators actually do are often two different things. You get what you pay for.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

I2200 Honda specs....
What the specs say and what the generators actually do are often two different things. You get what you pay for.

True story….
$900 for a 2kw Ryobi?? What’s this world coming to? Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jonaz wrote:

So it looks like the Circuit Breaker panel was mislabeled. I turned everything off and started to turn everything on. I flipped the switch for Microwave and FP OPT and now I get 120 volt AC and my TV works. Which is the only thing that I really wanted (for work).

The Ryobi 2300 inverter generator is rated at 20 amps. It is only 57 decibels but it seems as loud as my Harbor Freight 3500 Predator Inverter generator.

I only bought this Ryobi 2300 because it is only about 50 lbs and I can lift it into the back of my lifted Dodge Ram. My Predator weighs about 100lbs and I really have to strain to get it lifted high enough by myself onto the back tail gate. Not saying that I cant lift 100 lbs but going from waist level to chest level with that thing takes a little bit.

So it wasn’t blowing the breaker on the generator?

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

I2200 Honda specs....

Honda does not "over spec" the output, fair chance uses the same size breaker as a Ryobi.

There are times where you do not "get what you pay for" and this is one of those times.

Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support, much of the extra cost comes from the fact that Honda has a dealer parts and repair network to support and it costs a lot of money to keep a dealer parts supply system running.

Ryobi, warranty and dealer/parts support are non existent and you are expected to diagnose the issue online or by phone, then if covered by warranty you either send entire item back to them and they replace entire item or they may send you a part and you install it. Sometimes under warranty they may just send you a complete new or refurbed item and expect you to dispose of the broken item at your cost.

I personally do not live my life by buying for warranty sake, I don't buy extended warranties, so I have no "need" to buy a more expensive Honda when I can buy less expensive "clones" of a Honda..

So far, this has worked out very well for me since all of my gens are Honda clones bought for far less than a Honda and the oldest is now 20 yrs old and the only issue is the Honda designed carb which is highly prone to the jet clogging..

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support
No you're not. You're paying for performance, quiet, and quality so you rarely if ever need warranty support.

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Honda, you are paying up front for name brand recognition, warranty and dealer support
No you're not. You're paying for performance, quiet, and quality so you rarely if ever need warranty support.

x2 The Honda 2200 has the largest engine in this size genny, 121cc. The Ryobi 2300 has a 80cc. It makes a difference when putting a load on it.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO...while the Honda gens have been the gold standard for years, others ARE catching up, and for much less.

I bought a Champ several years ago. It is quiet, works great with 2K startup, and 1600 running. Champion is much cheaper than red/blue, has unbeatable customer support, often even after the warranty has expired.

Ryobi may be moving forward as well, but I doubt they will match the others, all things considered. There are several similar brands of gens, that get good reviews.

Jerry

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to turn off the "auto idle mode"

It is a kind of economy setting. Like lower watt output.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

JMO...while the Honda gens have been the gold standard for years, others ARE catching up, and for much less.

I bought a Champ several years ago. It is quiet, works great with 2K startup, and 1600 running. Champion is much cheaper than red/blue, has unbeatable customer support, often even after the warranty has expired.

Ryobi may be moving forward as well, but I doubt they will match the others, all things considered. There are several similar brands of gens, that get good reviews.

Jerry

I have had my Champion inverter gen for 9 nine years. Without a problem except for one time when I messed up. The service department sent me the part I messed up for free even after the warranty had expired 5 years previous. Will Honda do that?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Apples to apples comparison..

I2200 Honda specs HERE

"AC Output 120V 2200W max. (18.3A), 1800W rated (15A) "

Ryobi 2200W inverter gen HERE

"2200 Starting Watts/ 1800 Running Watts

Honda i2200 price, $1200

Ryobi 2200 Inverter gen price, $900

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a Ryobi "fan", hate their cheapo power tools, they would rather sell complete new cordless drill sets at a lower price than what they sell replacement battery packs for and their battery packs tend to die quickly forcing you to continually buy new cordless drill sets..

I will not buy Ryobi tools of any sort but there are plenty of other brands to choose from that are better for the same price as Ryobi and far less expensive than say a Honda gen.

Note with all this research the OP has a 2300.

BTW I have a few Ryobi items and they have been great.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ryobi 2300 generator keeps overloading
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.