Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Low Bridge Accident

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This happened Sept. 13, two days ago.

Driver and passenger suffered “moderate” injuries.

RV Crash

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
47 REPLIES 47

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
There is a bridge like this in Charlottesville, VA, where my daughter lives. It is near the campus of UVA. Every year there are vehicles that hit it and a motorhome or two as well. It is well marked on both sides and there are flashing lights and I think even a siren that warn you if your particular vehicle is over the height. Yet every year it gets hit. Daughter has been there a time or two where a lucky driver observed properly but could not back out alone. So the police do get involved and stop traffic and give the driver room to negotiate and get out. If a toad is on, it would involve disconnecting, then backing up far enough to take a side street. Very narrow roads in the heart of this ancient town.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Your time is coming!

Unobtanium wrote:
The guy got what he deserved. There is no shortage of the incompetent on the roads for whatever reason, especially recently. That applies to everything from the largest class A down to Dodge Neons. You currently have a high percentage who think traffic laws and common sense,along with common courtesy, no longer apply since Covid came along. Not to mention an 80 yr old geezer operating 10 tons of motorhome.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw
For your vewing pleasure, not my link. If you notice there is a warning on chains before the bridge. Some just are oblivious to it. They did raise the bridge eventually. You should, know your height. And maybe have written it on the windshild or sun visor. I see bridges by me get hit by trucks a lot. If you think your going to be tight, go slow , use a spotter, and if you hit it stop. Addtionally, if there is snow on the road the bridge height will be lower. Also, signs usally dont get replaced after repaving/milling. So the signe is a guide and actual height can be diffrent.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Unobtanium
Explorer
Explorer
The guy got what he deserved. There is no shortage of the incompetent on the roads for whatever reason, especially recently. That applies to everything from the largest class A down to Dodge Neons. You currently have a high percentage who think traffic laws and common sense,along with common courtesy, no longer apply since Covid came along. Not to mention an 80 yr old geezer operating 10 tons of motorhome.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
An overheight warning will only do so much. People still need to have a bit of situational awareness. It should not be too tough, know how high your rig is, know how low whatever it is you are driving under is. Do the math. If the math doesn't work out, don't drive under it. But this website proves that for some people the math is somewhat fuzzy.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wallynm wrote:
I remember seeing this bridge or another like it om 60 minutes. I worked in a building that had a second story above a road way. They placed hanging chains before you could enter it to rake the top of the vehicle as it passed. We still had a coke truck ignore the warning and hit it.

We with the gee wizz electronic stuff today you would think the could rig a height device wired to a stop light that would detect a over height vehicle and trigger the stop light before the bridge. Would not turn green until you backed up and turned around.

Over height detectors have been in use for many years. They are sometimes ineffective because of a driver's/passenger's tunnel vision.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wallynm wrote:
I remember seeing this bridge or another like it om 60 minutes. I worked in a building that had a second story above a road way. They placed hanging chains before you could enter it to rake the top of the vehicle as it passed. We still had a coke truck ignore the warning and hit it.

We with the gee wizz electronic stuff today you would think the could rig a height device wired to a stop light that would detect a over height vehicle and trigger the stop light before the bridge. Would not turn green until you backed up and turned around.

Interesting idea. But unless it somehow singled out the oversized vehicle, I can see them sitting and getting infuriated because the light won't change and then just running the red light to end up hitting the bridge anyway.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Still have our old Garmin and Rand McNutty. Been guided down goat paths, old stagecoach road, through lakes, following old Sauk trails now gone in Michigan, Down a brad sidewalk and back the way we came...under water of the lake.
Left turn in towns and back out on the same rad behind where we started. Same thing except down a narrow lane and through farmers field on along disappeared India path,and back out a mile behind where we started on US1 in Michigan. Twenty five miles beyond destination, east of Travers City, on the other side of hwy. Directed to turn into rivers and creeks,which is a lot of fun on a dark and stormy night and bunch more. A little hillarous...way after the fact if told properly.

I frequently mention the Great GPS Adventure when it took me hours away from anything and then told me to "go offroad in four miles". What it refused to tell me was that there was a highway not 5 miles away that would take me to the same destination.

It is a lot funnier now than when I was staring down a deer trail at dusk with no clue where I was.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Still have our old Garmin and Rand McNutty. Been guided down goat paths, old stagecoach road, through lakes, following old Sauk trails now gone in Michigan, Down a brad sidewalk and back the way we came...under water of the lake.
Left turn in towns and back out on the same rad behind where we started. Same thing except down a narrow lane and through farmers field on along disappeared India path,and back out a mile behind where we started on US1 in Michigan. Twenty five miles beyond destination, east of Travers City, on the other side of hwy. Directed to turn into rivers and creeks,which is a lot of fun on a dark and stormy night and bunch more. A little hillarous...way after the fact if told properly.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately they are probably old enough to have multiplied.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I'm not sure our GPS had low bridge clearance in it. Co-pilot, on back roads and strange/new territory always s n the watch for signs and the overpasses themselves.
We encountered several in Indiana and other places. Missed signs a couple of times but overpasses are generally marked, In Ga and Tn some Civil War era underpasses, when buggies and wagons were the rule, slipped u on a couple. Saw from a distance we could not clear though. 'm not sure what will be our next Motor Home but on board GPS might not have low clearance over passes indicated, so considering a GPS for over the road truckers. Even then it is possible that some may not b indicated. Co-Pilot duty things to help watch for is lwo overpasses.

I had the Co-Pilot app and it is the worst GPS I have used. It sent me some a road in WV that would’ve been questionable in a minivan with a PuP. Twists and turns that rival raids in the Rockies! I’m usually pretty good at looking at the map beforehand but I missed that one!
Next year I’m getting a Garmin RV GPS. But you still need to watch the road!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure our GPS had low bridge clearance in it. Co-pilot, on back roads and strange/new territory always s n the watch for signs and the overpasses themselves.
We encountered several in Indiana and other places. Missed signs a couple of times but overpasses are generally marked, In Ga and Tn some Civil War era underpasses, when buggies and wagons were the rule, slipped u on a couple. Saw from a distance we could not clear though. 'm not sure what will be our next Motor Home but on board GPS might not have low clearance over passes indicated, so considering a GPS for over the road truckers. Even then it is possible that some may not b indicated. Co-Pilot duty things to help watch for is lwo overpasses.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Whoever was driving that rig, shouldn't be driving that rig. You have to completely clueless to do that.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP