Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: HVAC - No Compressor run
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> HVAC - No Compressor run

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Coleman Mach 3 13.5 BTU HVAC has worked perfectly from 2008 until now.

Troubleshooting my RV HVAC unit. The thermostat says COOLING ON. I have fan control from the thermostat, but no compressor run.

The compressor resistance values properly check out on the 3 terminals with none being shorted. Capacitors tested to their face values.

I have 110V power coming into the relay on the board but no power out. So the relay isn't turning on. Testing at the board on the GL (Fan) terminal to the B- terminal shows that the fan runs at B+ voltage. Less than 1-volt shows at the Y (compressor) terminal. That would tell me that the thermostat is not sending the signal to turn on the relay to run the compressor. So, then I jumped the GL terminal to the C terminal at the board thinking that that should restore the necessary message from the thermostat. Nothing. Just nothing, no change, no compressor.

So it looks like it might be a thermostat problem, but if I jumper B+ power to the thermostat terminal (C) at the board, it looks like a compressor problem. I have not yet tried to wire around the relay at the board and I'm not sure if I should do that. Not sure what the ramification of that might be.

Bad Thermostat? Bad Board? I'm lost or missing something. Suggestions?

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check the low pressure cutoff make sure it is closed. Also do you have 12 volts to the board. I think that is required on the board also

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Yaesu FTDX101D, Ameritron AL-80 Amp, Icom 7100, Yaesu FT-991A
Steve and Joy
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no low pressure cut off on his AC. You should have 12 volts on the YELLOW wire or "Y" terminal at the upper control board. If you do NOT, just jumper the 12 volts from either the GL(low) or GH(high) fan wire. Fan on LO and the GL will have 12 volts. GH and on HIGH it will have 12 volts. IF the Compressor relay fails to close and engage the compressor the upper board is probably bad. Doug

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

There is no low pressure cut off on his AC. You should have 12 volts on the YELLOW wire or "Y" terminal at the upper control board. If you do NOT, just jumper the 12 volts from either the GL(low) or GH(high) fan wire. Fan on LO and the GL will have 12 volts. GH and on HIGH it will have 12 volts. IF the Compressor relay fails to close and engage the compressor the upper board is probably bad. Doug

Doug, I love reading your prescriptions -you are truly amazing [emoticon] !!

Many Thanks,
3 tons

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, that is one of the most concise descriptions of a problem I have seen as well as your troubleshooting status. We are fortunate to have Doug on this forum!

Well done!

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading Doug for years and appreciate all the help he has offered.

One thing that quite surprises me is that the signal from the thermostat to the C term on the unit has no(.8V) voltage on it. I expected to find a B+ voltage there. Why no voltage?

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron Nielson wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading Doug for years and appreciate all the help he has offered.

One thing that quite surprises me is that the signal from the thermostat to the C term on the unit has no(.8V) voltage on it. I expected to find a B+ voltage there. Why no voltage?

I believe the "C" terminal is the common thus no voltage on it . . . I could be wrong

The c wire is an extra wire that can be used to provide a return path for continuous power for any application. It's normally used to provide a return path to power the thermostat. The ā€œcā€ stands for common. It is often labeled as ā€œcā€ on thermostat backplates.

Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I misspoke. I was referring to the Y terminal. No signal there when in cooling mode. Thanks for noticing and keeping anyone else from being confused.

Ranger Smith

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron Nielson wrote:

Yes, I misspoke. I was referring to the Y terminal. No signal there when in cooling mode. Thanks for noticing and keeping anyone else from being confused.

If you read Dougs post there should be 12 volts there. If not put fan on high or low and jump the terminal to y and see if compressor relay kicks in. I believe it is either GH or GL

Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger

That's exactly what I did. Jumped 12V from GH (and GL separately) to the Y terminal and there was no response.

I have the situation where one test would indicate that the board has failed (the above test) and another test would indicate that the thermostat has failed (only .8V on the Y term supplied by the thermostat). Seems like an impossible situation unless both the board and the thermostat are defective.

I have ordered a thermostat to see if that fixes the problem. Like I previously said, they're only $20 or so and I need to get this thing fixed. If it turns out that that a new thermostat produces the correct result, I'm done, otherwise, I'll see if I can find a new board. They're pretty scarce right now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> HVAC - No Compressor run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.