Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fridge project for the fall
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fridge project for the fall

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello again all!
Our camper has the typical (Although taller than previous I have owned) AC / LP RV fridge. However, our fridge is in a slide out. This summer we have done more traveling south than we ever have and I noticed 2 things. 1- the fans in the top of the 2 exterior vents (I guess it is exhaust fans??) can be awfully noisy and 2- it struggles to keep as cool as I would like. This is especially true at the beginning of our trip when we have more food in the fridge. It does perform a bit better on LP than electric, but when we have electric hookup I hate the idea of wasting propane.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has successfully improved the cooling capability. I am also curious if anyone has found equal or better exhaust fans that are quieter. They are often right above my head when I sit outside, and on a warm day they will run A LOT and get annoying.

Thanks in advance!

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I used in my roof exhaust. 4 fit perfectly. I can not hear them. They do not move a lot of air, but work in my application.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a reflective car window shade. Using velcro, I attach it outside on the wall where the fridge is located. I was surprised at the difference it makes on hot days.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First step is look at air flow from the lower area to upper, on the working side. Make sure there is no path except thru the fins, or the burner stack. Best if you have a baffle that slopes up from top of the vent opening to the fins, so air will flow up to replace the air that is heated by fins.
Then go to top. You need to install baffle so the heated air from stack or fins can go no place except outside. And should all slope so there is no place for the air to pool. While you are at it, extra insulation between the cold part of fridge and outside wall will help.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the installation manual, often the builder didn't install the fridge correctly, mine wasn't. As said above, the path for air flow is critical on these side vent installations.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't stuff it with food. Use a small circulation fan inside. My Dometic is in a slide, no fans, and works great.

During really hot weather I've seen folks remove the back cover and place a house fan blowing at the coils.

* This post was edited 09/16/21 11:49am by 2oldman *

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RV fridges don't work very well not matter what you do. Others are much better. Maybe you just have one of the bad ones. I don't like to post brand names on this forum though.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Don't stuff it with food. Use a small circulation fan inside. My Dometic is in a slide, no fans, and works great.

As long as what you put in there is cold going in, not much of a issue in my experience. A fan helps, but the taper of, and shape where the lids force gaps for air flow.
When I spent a month in 100+ weather I figured out just how many and what size of the square/rectangle shaped containers would fit. When I took a full 1 out I would replace with MT. With most of the cold air contained, and knowing which I wanted when opened so closed quick temp recovered much quicker.

Quote:

During really hot weather I've seen folks remove the back cover and place a house fan blowing at the coils.

Big air flow is not as good as forcing the air to flow thru the right places.

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Some RV fridges don't work very well not matter what you do. Others are much better. Maybe you just have one of the bad ones. I don't like to post brand names on this forum though.

The technology of a absorption fridge is pretty simple. A little bit of work with the insulation and air flow can overcome the label.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My fridge is also in a slide out - fortunately, it is on the opposite side. The fans suck up air through the bottom vent and push out the top. Good advice on the baffles to channel the hot air. Mine has them along with 4 fans. There is a thermocouple that controls the temp of when the fans come on. I tried installing a 12v fan to suck up cooler air from the bottom, but then the fans didn't come on as much and shut off sooner. So I moved the fan to the upper vent and had it blow air out. I also reduced the size of the air cavity at the top using insulating foam blocks.

That helped some, but not enough. So I started using the blue ice blocks in the bottom of the fridge and set the circulating fan on the rack above them. This keeps the fridge at acceptable temps - in the Florida summer. I don't need the ice blocks in fall/winter.

Not sure what you can do about your setup as your chief complaint is that the fans make noise and the fridge is curbside.

I'm looking into upgrading to a residential fridge - that would solve your fan noise issue.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absorption refrigeration was in use before electricity was widespread for fans. If the area is shaped right, so the normal lift of the warmer air can keep it flowing there is not much need for fans. I have a computer fan on mine. I have thought of putting a thermo-activated switch on it, but about the only time I turn it on is if it will be over 100, and I will be away from camper, can't watch the temp. At about 85 outside, if the fan is on, my eggs freeze.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fridge project for the fall
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.