cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel exhaust fluid sensor failure

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently the latest shortage for us to worry about is the exhaust fluid sensor in our diesel powered items failing.

sensor failures

It seems that when the sensor fails EPA dictates that the vehicle go into a barely get off the highway limp mode and sit there until you get a new sensor. The huge catch is that there are not nearly enough sensors available. I saw another article about some people with motorhomes rigging an imitation sensor that fools the main computer so that it will let you keep driving but I forgot where I saw that.

All of the current engine builders are aware of the bind this can put drivers into but currently it is illegal for them to provide a work around. Another example of our government providing valuable service to the taxpayers.
5 REPLIES 5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The quality sensor is built into the RAM's tank and is NOT replaceable so it requires a whole new tank.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Meh, before you freak out too much, research your specific vehicle. My Ram will give me that warning, but it won't go into limp mode until you cycle off your vehicle. So even if it says 200 miles until limp mode, it just means that once you've gone 200 miles, it will still run (theoretically) until you turn off your truck. That at least gets you to a campsite, drop the trailer and to a repair shop.

By the way, I've had that message 2 times in 67,000 miles and cleared it with a code reader and it completely went away.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Think this one through, in a Ford 6.7, if the DEF heater fails it will also leave you walking, if not repaired in a reasonable (?) amount of time.

So in a week that the daily temps were above 90, my truck had to be parked until the parts arrived. Not much chance of the DEF freezing a couple of weeks back. You would think that the truck could read the outside temperature and know that the DEF is not frozen and the emissions are working. Makes me want to slap my fellow engineers up the side of the head.

Rant off.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
There has to be a work around however no one dare post it
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are accomplishing their goals of cleaning up the air quality. If it can't run, it isn't creating smog.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500