cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV roof protection

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 37 ft. Forrestriver Georgetown XL Class A motorhome. It is stored outside in southern California. It gets real hot in the summer and other times. I have purchased a complete RV cover. The top rotted in less that 4 months. The cost to send it back to the manufacture at my expense by the way, was close to what I payed for it in the beginning. Anyway, I am looking just for a Tyvek roof cover. ADCO stopped making them. Does anybody know where I can get a Tyvek roof covering for my 37 ft. Class A motorhome?
10 REPLIES 10

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all of the responses. I recently spent close to $1000.00 having my roof recaulked as a result of sitting in the storage lot baking in the oven of So. Cal. I really wasn't looking for the merits of covering or not covering. What I was looking for is: Does anyone out there know of a manufacture that makes "Tyvek" roof cover for a 37ft. Class A. If someone doesn't want to cover their RV when it sits outside, then that is certainly up to them. Believe me I have been RV ing for over 35 years and seen my share of roof damage from the California Sun. I am disabled to the extent that a full cover is not practical for me to deal with. I was thinking just a roof cover would be something that I and another person could handle.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Where I store there is not a single cover. There are over 1000 units.

Thanks for the verification of my comment. Cheers to you. Another KH said something about obvious expense. So what they can probably afford it on a lMH.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love the RV covers, especially when I get to watch my neighbor trying to put his cover on his 35 foot Class A. Lots of fun altho I am always concerned he will fall off. 😄
Me, I just wash my RV regularly with a wash/wax product from Blue Coral.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on storing with no cover, wash the roof at least twice a year and apply a product like 303 UV Protectant.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where I store there is not a single cover. There are over 1000 units.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a better cover. Mine is four years old and should last one more year.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Vast majority of MH I see on open air storage lots have no roof covers including late model ones. Just saying. Maybe the majority knows something.

Yes, they know it's expensive. 🙂
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vast majority of MH I see on open air storage lots have no roof covers including late model ones. Just saying. Maybe the majority knows something.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
roof covers often cause more damage that having nothing at all.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. While it is true that covers can rub the paint, hold moisture etc, they are designed to be a sacrificial layer to protect the RV. Lots of folks swear by them. They certainly have their downsides, one of which is falling apart as the OP noted. I fought with a cover on a previous MH for a season and decided it just was't worth the hassle. Aside from a proper garage the best way to keep it functional is to just do all your regular maintenance, re-caulking when necessary, keep it clean etc. That said, some extreme elements can accelerate a roof's demise quicker than others.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
roof covers often cause more damage that having nothing at all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.