cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion needed ASAP

GInoTheLegend
Explorer
Explorer
Hello 🙂 I'm new to this forum and new to the rv society, but I really need to ask question someone who has done that before.

I have some land in the forest and want to build something there, now it's 2hrs away from the city so If I can sleep there overnight that would be awesome.

There is a guy ~20miles away at the lake resort who is selling me his old 36ft trailer-house. I got people who can move it but they told me to make sure the tires are good and the trailer is unblocked etc (remove the skirt, and the blocks it's standing on)

Now the trailer is a bit old from 84 but there is no smell there at all - people lived there every summer. It stayed on that lot for the last 12 years and when I checked the tires they old looked bad, but 2 out of 4 seemed not flat 🙂

Now, I've changed my tires and breaks on the cars all the time, but that thing is 36 feet long and seems big. If you have done that kind of work before - is there good advice you have?

This is how the weels look on it, the right one is flat, the left one is hard but both are over 12 years old and have to be replaced

***Link Removed***

https://filesharing-eugene.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/2021-09-16+21.01.06.jpg

wheels
16 REPLIES 16

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This thread really makes me mad.
I have paid a LOT of school district taxes over the years.... And I see that the schools have done a terrible job of instilling reading comprehension in their students.:E
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Cinder blocks are unreliable for supporting weight like that.They can disintegrate without warning which makes it pretty dangerous to work on something heavy supported by them.Boards,jackstands or something similar are much safer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cool, man.
Just be careful getting it prepped for travel. Good luck with your venture.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GInoTheLegend
Explorer
Explorer
Gentlemen! Thank you all for your feedback! The OP is a master of confusion people 🙂 he doesn't do that on purpose, he just gives too much information..

The flat tires didn't pump up, but OP found craigslist and got 4 good-looking tires of mobile homes on those metal rims for 100$ 7-14.5 size

This morning, however, he went to that resort with a 3ton floor jack, a bunch of cinder blocks, and 2x12 pieces to throw them on the ground under the blocks..
He jacked up the left side of the trailer with that single jack, placed 2x12 under the frame, 2 cinder blocks, and had both tires in the air. He looked underneath of the trailer and realized that all the left side of the frame now was standing just on that cinder block to the right of the wheels, as he was walking towards the front of the trailer to check what is it holding on to - the whole thing slid to the side and landed back on the wheels. At that same time, the owner and his lady were in the trailer, they must have thought it was an earthquake.. those never happened in MN before.

The good news is - no one got hurt, including the OP. Also since the mobile house shifted about 6-8 inches to the side now the OP could see the tires on the other side, which were covered before with a big deck.

The bad thing is - now the V-neck that was blocked up too is leaning to the side. They put a bunch more blocks in front of the trailer in case it will lean further to support the front but the OP isn't planning on doing any more work on it until the current owners leave for the winter back to the south, which will be this weekend.

I'm thinking it would make sense to have the mobile house mover come with the truck and attach the v-neck to the hitch so the trailer is connected to the truck and isn't moving anywhere, and only then swap the tires 1 by 1. The mobile house seems to have 1 of the tires on each side that are holding the air, but assuming the tires I have fit - it won't be an issue to swap them out.

The mover of the mobile house didn't offer any help in replacing the tires, he just said: 'You need to remove the skirt, remove the blocks and give me the address of your property, I'll take a wide load permit and will move it'

The OP got that mobile house for a few hundred bucks so the biggest expense would be to pay the movers to bring it for 20 miles to the property

Thank you all for your tips!!!!!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your asking someone to buy new ST tires at say $150 a pop for $600 for a one and done project..

The tires on that unit appear to be "mobile home" tires on open mobile home rims. They are not cheap and getting the correct size to fit those rims is often not an easy task. And now days with all of these shortages could be substantially much more expensive than $600.

As long as the trailer is not loaded to the ceiling and the driver keeps the speed low and the tires are not showing big gapping holes and holding air they WILL most likely survive low speed turning for the 20 miles that was mentioned.

Mobile home movers do this ALL the time with old tires and often on mobile homes that sat in place for well over 40yrs.

The mobile home that was on my property was a 1960s', placed on the property sometime in late 1970's, I bought property early 1990's.. So, if you follow the math the tires on the mobile home I had to make go away were in the range of 30yrs old. All I did was put some air in them and they survived a trip down the road about 10 miles..

Mobile Home mover didn't even blink an eye at those tires..

Now if the route was on a 70MPH Interstate, that would be a hole nuther can o worms to deal with since most states frown on driving too far under the speed limit.

Good point on house trailer wheels. However....
The tires are going on a two hour trip which doesn't tell us how many miles and at what speeds.
The tires are junk and in my opinion won't make a two hour trip at any speed.
WE have no idea of the tires actual age as many mobilehome movers will buy and sell old 14.5" tires/axles/wheels to a trailer owner that is transporting the trailer himself.
The OP says the person doing the moving says to make sure the tires are good.

In the '60s/'70s I had my own mobilehome/camping trailers repair business. We moved and up righted wrecked or storm blow overs back to our shop for R&R. Old (age) 14.5" trailer tires that sat flat like the picture shows for very long are junk and never made it 15-20 miles back to the shop on county roads at slow speeds.

The OP is still going to need tires.
If their 14.5" then many mobilhome movers in that area will be a good place for those size used tires.

The person doing the moving will have some say about how the tires look and willing to take a chance.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Those tires don't look safe even for a 20 mile two hour move. I doubt if even a mobile home moving outfit would two the trailer with those tires but they probably can provide temporary tires for the move. Of course no bright boys thought of that. Cheers

:R

Are you really this scared of life?

Mobile home movers do this for a living, do you really think they slap brand new tires on 20, 30, 40 yr old trailers to move them?

The answer is no. I have seen mobile home movers use worse looking tires.

If the tires hold air, they will move the trailer.

Many mobile homes are set with tires and axles left on the trailer, it is a common practice, happens every day somewhere in the world. In my area, if the trailer has axles and wheels in place it is not considered a permanent structure and is not taxed as a permanent structure.

Slow speed is key to making old tires last long enough to move something..

I should have taken a pix of the passenger car tires that were on my current TT when I bought it. It was parked with passenger tires for 12yrs in a campground. I have the campground agreement from when it was placed there so I know how long it sat with old tires. The tires had a lot of cracks in sidewalls and tread.

Took my time, kept it at 40 MPH or lower when possible and it traveled 25 miles without blowing out a tire. At low speeds even if a tire blew out, the chances of damage done is minimal, won't be throwing shrapnel like what happens at 70 MPH.

OP is doing a "one and done" low mileage move and as long as they keep the speed low, fair chance the tires will be fine. I see no reason to insist the OP needs to throw $600 or more away in new tires for this one move.

OP can check with a few local mobile home movers to see if they have any take offs for pennies on the dollar if it makes them feel better. But I wouldn't bother messing around changing them to satisfy a bunch of keyboard jockeys..

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think a few misread the OP. The OP lives in the city, a two hour drive to his property. He wants trailer, so he does not have to drive back/forth.

Now the trailer is just 20 miles from his property. I would air the tires. If they can hold air, even for the day, I'd have it towed, using those old tires. Even at very low speed, it would not take long to get there. The towing people can block it up, leveling it, and done.

Now if it were me, I'd buy a newer, nicer trailer, that I could deal with myself. When done with it, sell it, and the purchaser could easily move it to his location.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And first see if the flat ones hold air.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PS anyone who is an actual mobile home mover has tires and wheels. That’s not an issue.
Unless you’re planning on red necking it behind your buddys cousins brothers Dooley diesel.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those tires don't look safe even for a 20 mile two hour move. I doubt if even a mobile home moving outfit would two the trailer with those tires but they probably can provide temporary tires for the move. Of course no bright boys thought of that. Cheers

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
I wouldn't pull those old tires on a highway. They'll most likely shred or blow out.
If the trailer is to be moved two hours away to another permanent location I would buy the cheapest ST tire I could find.
I would jack one side of the trailer up and take those two wheel to the tire shop. Then do the other side. That way you don't have to worry about jacking the whole trailer off the ground.
Lifting that size trailer even one side requires using the right size equipment. Be safe.

:R

The OP is planning a "one and done" move, they are not planning to see the world with this unit.

GInoTheLegend wrote:

I have some land in the forest and want to build something there, now it's 2hrs away from the city so If I can sleep there overnight that would be awesome.

Your asking someone to buy new ST tires at say $150 a pop for $600 for a one and done project..

The tires on that unit appear to be "mobile home" tires on open mobile home rims. They are not cheap and getting the correct size to fit those rims is often not an easy task. And now days with all of these shortages could be substantially much more expensive than $600.

As long as the trailer is not loaded to the ceiling and the driver keeps the speed low and the tires are not showing big gapping holes and holding air they WILL most likely survive low speed turning for the 20 miles that was mentioned.

Mobile home movers do this ALL the time with old tires and often on mobile homes that sat in place for well over 40yrs.

The mobile home that was on my property was a 1960s', placed on the property sometime in late 1970's, I bought property early 1990's.. So, if you follow the math the tires on the mobile home I had to make go away were in the range of 30yrs old. All I did was put some air in them and they survived a trip down the road about 10 miles..

Mobile Home mover didn't even blink an eye at those tires..

Now if the route was on a 70MPH Interstate, that would be a hole nuther can o worms to deal with since most states frown on driving too far under the speed limit.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You misspelled Mille Lacs….
And the reason that guy is “selling” you that trailer home and it seems like a “deal” is because it’s worth -$0, as in less than $0. Even if functional they are hard to move and being old aren’t worth anything.
You don’t sound like you have the rest of this equation figured out either , if you’re stumped on the flat tires.
Re think the whole thing and make sure you have a plan and aren’t just hauling someone else’s junk into your property while he laughs his way to the bank.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uggggg.. Mobile home open rims and tires..

OK, from "been there, done that" point in my life.

Bought a early 1980s 26ft TT that also had set 12yrs in a campground. Camper was 25 miles from my home.. The tires on my trailer had lots of air checking and cracks but they held up long enough to get home.

Also had to deal with getting a mobilehome off the land I was purchasing, the bank didn't like a mobile home on the land.. Had to have a mobilhome mover come in and pull it to some land that was owned by my DWs family 15 miles away.. That mobilehome had been sitting on the property well over 20yrs.. The Mover aired up the tires and away they went with it..

Air the tire up, set to sidewall pressure all around and see if they hold air.

If tires hold pressure, proceed to tow carefully at speeds under the speed limit since you are towing a pretty short distance. Might wish to ask your towing friend if they have any spare mobile home tires and rims handy just in case..

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't pull those old tires on a highway. They'll most likely shred or blow out.
If the trailer is to be moved two hours away to another permanent location I would buy the cheapest ST tire I could find.
I would jack one side of the trailer up and take those two wheel to the tire shop. Then do the other side. That way you don't have to worry about jacking the whole trailer off the ground.
Lifting that size trailer even one side requires using the right size equipment. Be safe.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides