cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan’s New Inverter Based Generators - Mike Mas

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer

Hey Guys - I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss Onan’s newer style “Inverter Based Generators” which use a processor controlled variable speed protocol to vary the generators rpm to match immediate load demands. In any case, inverter based Onan generators are quieter, more fuel efficient and will last 2-3 times longer than a standard Onan thanks to the fact they spend most of their time operating 50% slower than past Onan generators.

Fortunately my new Renegade Verona - Was equipped with a 8 kw “Inverter Based” gen-set. As soon as you start the generator, you'll note it's a departure from the older Onan generators which were required to operate at high rpm's even when there was no loads placed on the generator.

Presently all the newer 6 kw & 8 kw Onan diesel generators - Are "Inverter Based Generators". Onan just released their first gas / propane inverter versions called 2500i - 2800i for B & B+ Vans. Last time I checked, the 10 /12 kw Onan’s were still using the older constant speed protocol. The primary difference of the older Onan generators is they were required to run at a set speed around 1800 rpm. This was mandatory for the generator to maintain a true 60 cycle wave form. Any deviation in speed, would cause the sine wave frequency to change.

The term Inverter Based Generator - Can be a bit confusing to some RV owners. While this technology is new to Onan's RV units, inverter generators have been around for decades. In fact, my 15 year old Honda 1000 portable generator has this inverter technology. When you start a inverter generator it will run at a high idle speed for a few minutes to reach operating temperature. Once this is accomplished, the generator then slows back down to idle speed just as your main engine would waiting for a load.

These newer inverter generators - Operate differently as they now dump the alternators output into a built in inverter module which maintains the generators output at a constant 60 Hz, regardless of rpm. As soon as a load is applied, the inverters processor samples the required amperage, then quickly increases engine speed to a level to maintain that load. It’s this process of allowing the engine run slower which conserves up to 40-50% fuel compared to the older generators which were required to run at nearly 50% throttle constantly.

On a few Occasions - When I wanted to top off my Renegade’s lithium batteries set, I'll use the generator to power my Xantrex 3012 inverter to charge the batteries at 150 amps, or at 300 amps using my second onboard Xantrex Pro 3000 inverter charger. The beauty of this new generator is runs just a bit over idle speed to accommodate this charge cycle. In fact, you hardly know the generator is working. This same process with my older Onan generators was awful, since the generator would have to run at high speeds even though it had a very minimum load. This low speed charge cycle only consumes around .10 gal hr. verses half a gallon an hour on the older generator units. You'll also note that when running the roof AC unit, as the compressor cycles off, the generator lowers to idle again conserving fuel and reducing noise.

In my discussions with a number of RV owners - I was surprised to find out that many owners did not realize their RV’s were equipped with this new technology generator. If you’re not sure you have an inverter generator- Just start the generator with no loads applied. If the generator stays at idle with no load, then you have the new inverter set. If it runs at a constant fast speed with no load, you have the older ten-set.

While on the topic of Inverters - Most Renegade’s from 2020 now use an inverted based compressor motor for the refrigerator as well. This system requires half the power of past units. The refrigerator in my Renegade only draws 3 amps, where the same 18 cu ft refrigerator in my Newmar drew 6.5 amps to operate. The inverter controlled compressors have the ability to run at seven different speeds for efficiency drawing as little as only 1 amp to maintain temperature.

Since my coach runs entirely - On it's own 16,080 watt hour Lithium battery which runs the A/C, my generator is seldom used. My coach is a little over a year old now, and I’ve only run the generator 3.1 hours for testing and exercise. Regretfully some type B and B+ & C manufactures are now removing the generator when they install a lithium package, this is not a good practice. I would not own an RV without a generator.

I did want to mention in the article they also offer a a unique advantage for RV lithium battery charging, since you can charge your lithium batteries with the gen at idle, preventing the use the engine with all its DPF extended idling problems.

In conclusion - I could not be more pleased with its quiet running and economical fuel operation. Congrats to the folk's at Onan for this major improvement in RV generators.

Stay Safe Guys - Mike
45 REPLIES 45

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
So, looking at the link posted above by SSki, I see Onan states on page 3,

"1996 Introduction of the FIRST variable speed inverter based generator"

I would think since Onan made the statement in their own product manual they would know what they're talking about. I sure wouldn't expect them to publish such a false claim for all these years.

The OP may or may not know what they are trying to say but I gotta' go with Onan on this one. Looks like Onan has had inverter based generators since 1996.

Maybe they've recently come out with some newer model inverter based generators but 1996 is still when they came out with the "FIRST" one. Only one can be first.

I'm also unsure how the OP's experience with lithium batteries makes him an expert on Onan generators. :h
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

SSki
Explorer
Explorer
From the Cummins handbook. 1996 - Introduction of first variable speed inverter- based generator. I guess that's why my 1997 Luxor had a QD7500 Inverter generator. 🙂

https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0056746.pdf

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Until Mike's buddy informed him he was indeed full of B.S. he was adamant that none of us had inverter generators, then he switched to " I noticed an immediate change from his 2019 and his new rig. " I have never seen anyone stand by a mixed-up opinion in the face of overwhelming proof like that. WOW
He still won't acknowledge he was wrong.

Bruce_Brown
Idle-Up wrote:
Thanks for the replies - Regretfully instead of this thread being friendly and educational so we can all learn from each other to further enjoy our RV’s, a few users have instead chosen two attack it and my credentials.

Mike,
This one took a turn only when YOU refused to listen and learn from many others who tried to correct your erroneous information. Instead of acknowledging someone else may actually know what they were talking about you decided to belittle them instead. Those are the "credentials" we all witnessed. Nothing more, nothing less - you have reaped what you have sown.

This is 100% on you. But nice try at a deflection - didn't work.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies - Regretfully instead of this thread being friendly and educational so we can all learn from each other to further enjoy our RV’s, a few users have instead chosen two attack it and my credentials. For those who think I just dreamed up this topic, as a hobby, I spend 8+ hours a day designing lithium systems for their integration to RV’s. I designed the very first lithium system for RV’s in the late 90’s. Since then, I have provided consulting information to numerous RV manufactures, as well as industry leaders such as Lithionics Battery, Xantrex Corp, E-Gen and others. In Fact, I’m presently designing the first 100 volt lithium battery system for my Renegade. This system will provide up to a week of “off the grid time”with the roof A/C running. Other unique features include; the RV’s cab A/C compressor is converted to electric and powered by the coaches same lithium system allowing the dash air to run even with the engine off. This is big news for RV’s since the cabs AC unit outputs 19k btu.

In fact, I just returned from a trip to Elkhart and Decatur visiting with technicians of 12 different RV manufactures for a “Show & Tell” of my Renegades latest lithium design where the entire coach and appliances are powered solely from lithium allowing the roof AC to run for two days or longer. While I’m presently documenting this newer system for an upcoming video, for those interested in a more conventional lithium system for their RV, I have included some links below of a few systems I designed. You might have to copy and paste the links!

Stay Safe - Mike

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Regretfully, since you don’t own one of these newer generators, so you’re speaking “off the cuff” without any real "User" experience. In retrospect, I had both my old coach (standard set) and new coach (new protocol) in my garage for 3 months parked side by side for comparison of the generators."

It is very hard for me to believe that Cummins made major improvements to their quiet diesel generators and you are the only person that they told about it. I have been searching for news releases or reviews about these improvements and the only news that I can find from Cummins is about the new gas generators.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Just can't admit you were wrong, can you - even when all your quotes were highlighted.

It’s an affliction called narcissism. I’ve always wondered why he puts his name in every thread title. Now we know.

Bruce_Brown
Just can't admit you were wrong, can you - even when all your quotes were highlighted.

Yes, the generators have been updated.

More importantly, the older models were indeed inverter type generators - which you continued to insist wasn't true and you continue to belittle those who point that out. Your last post is just another example.

Yes, my Onan generator IS an inverter type generator. Our old Generac (in our '03) was not. Yes, I do know the difference.

BTW, we also ran an inverter generator in our off the grid camp.

Seriously, put the shovel down, you cannot dig your way out of the hole you're in.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
So Mike, take a look at this and ask yourself how this looks...

Your posts;

9/17/21 - This has been confirmed by Cummins Onan.
9/19/21 - Thanks for your replies however I have spent hours with Cummins regarding these new Inverter based generators.
9/21/21 - Yesterday I finally managed to have a short conversation with my busy friend Bill Stubbs.

So what's the truth here? If you didn't speak to Bill until 9/21, what happened on the other 2 times???

Next item;

9/18/21 - I have to inform you that your 2003 Newmar does not have an Inverter based generator. When your genny starts up goes right to high speed.

9/19/21 - I suggest you go out and start your generator you'll note it goes right to a high speed to maintain 60 hz.

9/20/21 – Bruce it looks like it's impossible to get a few members to believe they don't own an inverter generator. All they need to do is start their generator up and listen to it race without a load,

9/20/21 - The changes your hearing is not that of an inverter generator, what you’re hearing and mistaking for a faster speeds is actually the engine speeding up momentary from a drop in rpm from as load was applied.

9/21/21 - Bill mentioned that while all Onan diesel generators use an inverter module, the newer Onan’s now use a different inverter based processor protocol…

Seeing as you told all these people they didn't know what they were talking about - and actually doubled down on it, and not very politely either, don't you think this would have been a good time to hand out a few apologies? It's ok to make a mistake - we all do that - the trouble is when you proclaim to be the expert and, in this case, simply had no idea what you were talking about, then totally disregarded the information from those who actually did.

Bruce thanks for the reply - As I mentioned numerous times, I immediately noticed a contrast difference between the old and newer gen units with a revised Protocol within minutes when I first started the generator at North Trail.

It's also important that you understand - I have spoken over a dozen Cummins Onan tech's since I bought my coach last year, most all confirmed there were operational differences in the newer gen sets at the same period the newly released 2500i and 2800i inverter based generators were released.

In my last post I clearly stated that I just spoke to Mr. Stubbs yesterday evening for his accurate assessment on the newer generators where he confirmed there were major operational differences.

Regretfully, since you don’t own one of these newer generators, so you’re speaking “off the cuff” without any real "User" experience. In retrospect, I had both my old coach (standard set) and new coach (new protocol) in my garage for 3 months parked side by side for comparison of the generators. Therefore, I speak from facts, I didn’t just wake up one morning and dream this thing up!

Best Regards - Mike

Bruce_Brown
So Mike, take a look at this and ask yourself how this looks...

Your posts;

9/17/21 - This has been confirmed by Cummins Onan.
9/19/21 - Thanks for your replies however I have spent hours with Cummins regarding these new Inverter based generators.
9/21/21 - Yesterday I finally managed to have a short conversation with my busy friend Bill Stubbs.

So what's the truth here? If you didn't speak to Bill until 9/21, what happened on the other 2 times???

Next item;

9/18/21 - I have to inform you that your 2003 Newmar does not have an Inverter based generator. When your genny starts up goes right to high speed.

9/19/21 - I suggest you go out and start your generator you'll note it goes right to a high speed to maintain 60 hz.

9/20/21 – Bruce it looks like it's impossible to get a few members to believe they don't own an inverter generator. All they need to do is start their generator up and listen to it race without a load,

9/20/21 - The changes your hearing is not that of an inverter generator, what you’re hearing and mistaking for a faster speeds is actually the engine speeding up momentary from a drop in rpm from as load was applied.

9/21/21 - Bill mentioned that while all Onan diesel generators use an inverter module, the newer Onan’s now use a different inverter based processor protocol…

Seeing as you told all these people they didn't know what they were talking about - and actually doubled down on it, and not very politely either, don't you think this would have been a good time to hand out a few apologies? It's ok to make a mistake - we all do that - the trouble is when you proclaim to be the expert and, in this case, simply had no idea what you were talking about, then totally disregarded the information from those who actually did.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Idle-Up wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - I recently sold my 2019 Newmar New Aire which had an 8 kw genny to purchase my newer 2020 Renegade Verona with an 8 kw Onan as well. Upon delivery, I immediately noticed a contrast difference in the generators quieter operation and lower idle speed which compelled me to contact Onan to investigate the difference.

Yesterday I finally managed to have a short conversation with my busy friend Bill Stubbs, Bill is possibly one of the most knowledgeable guys on the planet with Cummins, Allison transmissions as well as Onan.generators. Bill is the one who uncovered the poor engine performance in RV’s which was caused by a protocol called “Fuel Sense” which was bogging down Cummins engines in RV’s. Fuel sense caused over-shifting in an effort to save fuel.

Bill mentioned that while all Onan diesel generators use an inverter module, the newer Onan’s now use a different inverter based processor protocol, which allows the Onan to idle slower, as well as control lower operating speeds to make the somewhat noisy Kubota’s engines a bit quieter and more fuel efficient. He mentioned these new diesel protocol’s were inline with the new 2500i and 2800i inverted based smaller gas generators recently released.

Glad you got to the bottom of it mike. Hopefully the new and improved version will also reduce the amount of invertir boards that owners are going thru.

Cheers and stay safe on the road.

Reisender thanks for the reply - Regarding the many board failures in Onan’s, the most common cause for this occurs when the generator is using to the same battery set as the main engine.

When the owner can’t start the RV’s engine because of a depleted battery, he then starts the generator. The problem occurs as he attempts to start the engine “while the generator is running”, the extreme momentary high amperage load of the starter windings overloads the Onan’s 12/120 volt circuitry, causing the control module to fail.

Regretfully, this is a short coming of the Onan system since it’s not uncommon for an owner to have a depleted chassis battery from all the processors running when the engine is off then start the generator to power and start the main engine.

Regards - Mike

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I’m chuckling at this latest reply. Just can’t admit there was inaccurate information relayed. I have lost a lot of respect for you, Mike. Happy trails.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Idle-Up wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - I recently sold my 2019 Newmar New Aire which had an 8 kw genny to purchase my newer 2020 Renegade Verona with an 8 kw Onan as well. Upon delivery, I immediately noticed a contrast difference in the generators quieter operation and lower idle speed which compelled me to contact Onan to investigate the difference.

Yesterday I finally managed to have a short conversation with my busy friend Bill Stubbs, Bill is possibly one of the most knowledgeable guys on the planet with Cummins, Allison transmissions as well as Onan.generators. Bill is the one who uncovered the poor engine performance in RV’s which was caused by a protocol called “Fuel Sense” which was bogging down Cummins engines in RV’s. Fuel sense caused over-shifting in an effort to save fuel.

Bill mentioned that while all Onan diesel generators use an inverter module, the newer Onan’s now use a different inverter based processor protocol, which allows the Onan to idle slower, as well as control lower operating speeds to make the somewhat noisy Kubota’s engines a bit quieter and more fuel efficient. He mentioned these new diesel protocol’s were inline with the new 2500i and 2800i inverted based smaller gas generators recently released.

Glad you got to the bottom of it mike. Hopefully the new and improved version will also reduce the amount of invertir boards that owners are going thru.

Cheers and stay safe on the road.

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer

I would additionally like to personally thank the moderators for re-opening the thread!