cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar install question

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had a solar installation on their rig recently? I'm camper shopping and wonder about the cost of aftermarket solar add-on
11 REPLIES 11

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
daily double wrote:
Has anybody had a solar installation on their rig recently? I'm camper shopping and wonder about the cost of aftermarket solar add-on

Lots of options.

www.amsolar.com is where I bought my solar.

I bought My Battleborn batteries and Victron DC to DC charger direct from Battleborn.

My Victron inverter was purchased from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Here's an overviewof the solar on my AF 811
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I put mine on over the winter. for now I did a 325 watt split cell panel, and a renogy 40 amp mppt charge controler. the best thing you can do is find the biggest panel you can put on size wise. make sure you have room for two even. I made a carboard cut out and climbed up and layed it around to see if different size panels would fit and how they would fit.

do yourself a favor and go with a 24v panel and split cell if you can. way more efficient in early moreling or lower light levels. mine wanst prewires, so I ran the wires into the fridge vent on the roof then took off to the battery compartment from there. all togeather it was about 600Cdn for the panel, controler, mounting kit, wiring kit, new battery wires from the controler and so on. I know in the US stuff is a lot cheeper so I would expect you could di it for about 300.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did the DIY/ Camper was pre wired

Parts for 2 100 watt panels mounts wiring and controller was under $400. Time to install and have it up and running was under 3 hours with a buddy helping me get the panels up onto the roof.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks like many replies are DIYs, and it sounds like you are interested in having it done for you.
I had a complete turn-key system installed 18 months ago at a solar dealer in Quartzsite, AZ. It's 570 watts (tiltable) with 4 AGM 6-volt batteries, MPPT controller, and 2000 watt inverter.
$6400. Done in 8 hours.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
Many people with more experience then myself for solar but I will throw in my two cents. Having a fiberglass camper, I was hesitant to add any more holes to the roof. I went with these thin film panels by Renogy on Amazon:

https://amz.run/4u4o

I ended up getting some double sided eternabond tape along with the regular onesided eternbond tape and taping the panels to the roof with the double sided tape in the center of the panel (to prevent negative pressure from pulling it off the roof) with regular tape around the edges. About thee years later and thousands of miles and they haven't budged an inch.

Some people on these forums might raise the issue of efficiency loss due to heat because of lack of air-flow and other reasons to go with the rigid and framed panels. While rigid panels generally are more efficient, drilling holes in your roof and adding a complicated mounting bracket system isn't my cup of tea. I will gladly accept losing a few watts to have a cleaner install. They also make these panels in 200W versions so if you have the space on the rough, you just tape the two down for 400w then run your wires. Nothing complicated and no holes to worry about.

Personally, I went with the stick on panels. Sure they are only 68W each, not made anymore and will likely never come off but they work for me. Installed in 2014:

Where I live most unimproved campsites and boondocking spots are closed off for the winter months leaving only private and state campgrounds as the only options. Both of these usually have at least power or full hookups.

I have a pet that I leave at home so that limits my trips to only a few nights at a time. This makes carrying enough AH storage and recharge ability for my meager power needs rather simple and easy.

YMMV.

- Mark0.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Many people with more experience then myself for solar but I will throw in my two cents. Having a fiberglass camper, I was hesitant to add any more holes to the roof. I went with these thin film panels by Renogy on Amazon:

https://amz.run/4u4o

I ended up getting some double sided eternabond tape along with the regular onesided eternbond tape and taping the panels to the roof with the double sided tape in the center of the panel (to prevent negative pressure from pulling it off the roof) with regular tape around the edges. About thee years later and thousands of miles and they haven't budged an inch.

Some people on these forums might raise the issue of efficiency loss due to heat because of lack of air-flow and other reasons to go with the rigid and framed panels. While rigid panels generally are more efficient, drilling holes in your roof and adding a complicated mounting bracket system isn't my cup of tea. I will gladly accept losing a few watts to have a cleaner install. They also make these panels in 200W versions so if you have the space on the rough, you just tape the two down for 400w then run your wires. Nothing complicated and no holes to worry about.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Easy as pie. Especially if your camper is "prewired" for solar.

Even a mere 100W in good sun can extend your camping trip.

Amazon is your friend. Checkout the pricing on 100w panels and then 10A MPPT charge controllers. Fairly inexpensive stuff.

Need/want more power? Have less sun? Add panels and higher amp charge controller and/or add more battery capacity.

Some folks add as many panels as they have room on the roof and others are happy with 2 or even 1 panel.

- Mark0.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Solar is great for everything except running the AC as long as it is sunny. The panels are the least expensive part of the system. I built a 400 watt system last year, $320 for panels, similar for 2000 watt PS inverter, ditto for an MPPT charge controller and another $550 for two 125 AH AGM batteries. You can do the math, but remember wires, fuses, screws, lag bolts, etc. arenโ€™t free.

Yeah, I coulda bought a generator that would even run the AC for that. But solar will run silently for at least the next decade for no additional cost, no fuel, no maintenance, no spark plugs, and did I mention itโ€™s SILENT.

Hope that helps.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
If the camper is pre-wired for solar the hard work is done. The arrays themselves are at most $2/watt, good mounts are $20-40 for each panel. I've found 200 watts to be more than enough for continuous living, in the sunny west. Not sunny or a lot of time in the shade, then more.

The controller is anywhere from $50 for a cheap one - not really the place you want to save money - to $200 for one of the best. Most anyone can accomplish the install, but if you hire it out it the cost. will depend on the honesty and diligence of the installer.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Solar is the closest thing to a free lunch you are likely to find. I suggest 400 to 600 watts unless you wish to do an energy audit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Heheh, not real recently but I call 'Solar' the 'Black Arts' as you'll get so many different opinons on it, hard to tell if right.

What I learned after 3 different installs, rewiring etc.

1. Put on or leave room for as many panels as much as you can.
2. Increase the wiring to accommodate the Max and then go to the next level/grade.
3. Invertors, get more than you think you need.
4. They'll all ask you "How much do you need?" which is fine, but go to the max on that.
5. It's expensive but once in, well worth it.
6. Always have a back up generator, I use Honda 2200i which works fine.

Solar is great in sunny weather. Cloudy/rainy days, not so great, thus the generator.
It all depends on your camping style/needs and what you might want in the future.

Some get by on the little portable ones (but they can 'Walk off') as the needs aren't that great, which is great. But if you're trying to run an AC and microwave then you'll need a lot more.

Anyway, as I said, you'll get many different opinions, I've listed my "Lessons Learned' on my trials and tribulations... heheh.

Solar is really good, believe the 200w panels are the latest decent sized ones.

Hope this helps,
Good luck

Oh, also, make sure the installers KNOW what they are doing, get local recommendations. Dealer aren't necessarily the experts on the "Black Arts". heheheh
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website