cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen-set Troubles

tdelliott
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I have decided that we either need to repair our Onan onboard 4KW generator or add a generator to our 2014 Class C. the current onboard gen starts very well, runs for about 7-10 minutes, and then quits. After a short (1 HR?) wait, the same sequence of events. It seems like there are three options available to us, and I don't know which way to go. I appreciate all your advice.
1) repair the onboard gen ($$$$) or purchase and install a used onboard gen in the gen-set compartment (again $$$$). Getting a dedicated RV gen installed would probably be the "cleanest" build and, unfortunately, the most expensive. Not sure I want to invest that much. This option also doesn't include if all the connections are still good.

2) Install a portable gen set on a rear platform on a semi-permanent basis. I would have to purchase a secure box for it, the fuel, cords, etc., and have it mounted to the rear cargo rack. Possibly cheaper and would add storage to boot. The downside is that I lose the hitch's use (not using it currently, but you never know), and it may make a tempting target. It also increases the Length Of Rig by about 1.5-2.0 ft. Since I don't use a toad, this may make a difference on a 31' MH. On the upside, I could transfer the set-up if/when I purchase another unit and use the portable gen-set for other projects around the house.

3) I could carry and set up a portable gen-set when I park. If I get a new or used gen-set, I need one big enough to run the A/C, the coffeemaker, and the microwave, sometimes simultaneously. That limits me to a pretty good-sized gen-set. The only way I could make it work would be to carry a pair of 2000s inside and connect them in parallel when I park or get a 4500W unit that is heavy and difficult to store. I don't think two gens would fit in my exterior compartment, plus I would want that space for optional storage. I think a unit big enough to run the A/C would take up too much space inside when traveling. I guess I could still put them on a receiver rack, but that brings me back to option 2, so I'm confused.
I initially thought that having a gen-set was a great option but not required unless boondocking or during emergencies. I appreciate all thoughts on generator set-ups, economics, and necessity.

4) other ideas?
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nother 1 and done posted it appears…
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Is it flashing any trouble codes? Fuel filters and fuel pumps go bad often and are cheap to replace.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
You can try some of the DYI fixes. If they don't work, ask around, get recommendations, and find a nearby honest pro generator repair shop. Diagnosis and repair of your generator, may cost you some $800, maybe less if it's simple. Lot's cheaper and more convenient than buying and using a portable generator plus it will make your rig easier and worth more when you sell it.

When you get it running again, run generator with roof AC frequently and maintain house batteries and connections to help it start easily.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Running for 10min and then not again for an hour is not an expected symptom of a gummed up carb.
More like a fuel pump that quits pumping once it gets heat soaked. Or similar condition with the spark coil/stator/ control board.
Until you know whether it’s missing fuel or spark when it dies, it’s just speculation.
Run it til it dies, then pull gas line off carb immediately and try priming. If no noise or no gas then likely fuel pump. Can also see if the float bowl is low/empty right after it dies.
If you got fuel then do the same and check for spark.
Easiest to plug-in a spare spark plug and check ( ground plug to engine)
You’ll know a lot more about what is wrong for $0 and less than an hour of your time.
The you can diagnose why it’s not gettting spark or fuel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjrbus wrote:
Google carburetor gummed up with ethanol. Very likely your problem is gummed up carburetor fouled and something else. Cummins is the best place to take it but expensive.

It's a simple gasoline engine, what does Cummins need to do that a mobile RV mechanic could not. The carb can be removed and cleaned, replacement parts are available. Not much more than a large mower motor in my opinion. BTW, mine had similar symptoms and a fuel pump cured it.
Recently it would not start at all, found a wire chaffed and broke. Check the wiring loom. Frequent start ups deters rodents also. I have a solar powered light that illuminates the area in front, then brightens if it detects movement. Rats don't like lights.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Google carburetor gummed up with ethanol. Very likely your problem is gummed up carburetor fouled and something else. Cummins is the best place to take it but expensive.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If your Onan has the plastic altitude cap on it pry it off with a screwdriver behind it and turn the needle out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. These things run lean to meet EPA standards and I believe they are not optimal at factory settings.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Repair this one, much less than a new one. Find a mobile RV mechanic near you. It sounds fuel related, maybe pump, filter or fuel lines. Sta Bill IMHO is worthless. I added that to all fuel for all my small engines and they still gum up after a month.

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
I had this exact same thing happen and all it was , was the ground wire was corroded. Simply scraping it clean and reattached it and generator ran like normal. Just a thought…….
If the ground connection from the generator to the RV chassis frame was high resistance due to corrosion or rust, your generator would not start or would at least turn over very slowly. Once the generator is running, the chassis ground connection is no longer required for the generator to keep running once started.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
do you run the genny under load once a month for at least 30 mins regardless of time of year? if no, the carb may be fouled up and a new one is needed. they gum up very easily. stabil gas treatment make no difference.

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
do you run the genny under load once a month for at least 30 mins regardless of time of year? if no, the carb may be fouled up and a new one is needed. they gum up very easily. stabil gas treatment make no difference.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had this exact same thing happen and all it was , was the ground wire was corroded. Simply scraping it clean and reattached it and generator ran like normal. Just a thought…….

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
My best guess is that you have a failing electric fuel pump. Replacing it along with a new fuel filter will cost a lot less than a replacement generator.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all the above is not helpful then the fuel pump and filter would be my next suspects. The fuel pump can be tricky to get at.