Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW will have the coroner pick me up and make arrangement for local cremation. RV can go to the local dealer for an immediate cash price. Does not have to be a big thing. The whole white glove treatment is a bit overrated IMO. Life is for the living.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M wife and I have talked about how to handle this situation. She is able and does drive our truck and TT. She would make arrangements for cremation of my remains and have them sent home when that is done. She would contact all of our family members and someone would make arrangements to get to her asap to help her get everything home. About 20 years ago I had a medical emergency while we were travelling and my family mobilized to get us home. Luckily, I recovered enough to get home with the assistance of my wife and no outside assistance.

My wife and I have had conversations like this for over 30 years because I worked in law enforcement. Most agencies try to prepare families for worse case scenarios. We prayed for the best and trained for the worst.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as getting the RV home, DW would call one of our many camping friends and fly him out to get her home. But, that would be the least of her problems.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife is very astute. Something happens to me, she would have my body shipped home and have one of the kids or her sisters or brothers fly out to ride with her in the coach back home. My health is such I would do the same but Sibbling or Relative would drive it hem for me.
t the moment we are sans coach as we sold ours. Considering some different models now or another new home or on lake north of here and Suburban etc for travel. Off subject but after staying in Jackson Hole and cabins in Tetons and surrounding ares t $450.00+- per night plus Taxes ,in old or new facilities anther motor is the target.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my late husband was alive and we traveled, I carried the Good Sam Medical Assistance Program and the FMCA membership (for their benefits.) As I did all the driving and setting up, etc, I would have been OK to get the rig back to our home area and he would have been taken care of through one of the programs. If something had happened to me, my late husband could not have gotten our rig back home. He would have called his daughter and SIL to come to his aid.

Now, I am alone (he passed away in Hospice in our home town) and it takes more planning. I have my funeral plans prepaid and have travel insurance to bring my body back to home area. Guess his daughter and SIL would come get the rig and do whatever needs to be done. My hope is they will keep it and camp on. All legal paperwork is done.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many of the great people on here have pointed out, planning and mental attitude are very important. My wife and daughters will get through whatever happens. They are tough and practical. They would tell an outside observer that either of us died doing what we love so the end was good.
If something happens to my wife, I will be lonely and very sad but I will get through it.
We talked on this subject this evening after reading the OP and before I made my first post to this thread. We both realize that nobody gets out of this world alive. We trust in our faith that the best comes after this life ends. I hope nobody is offended by that statement.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dropped out last year in FL. The EMS hauled me off to the hospital. Daughter flew down from MD and drove our DP back home. I am 80 and it turned out to be something minor but I think we have all our ducks in a row. Don't matter if I drop dead they got to figure it out--I won't be here. I just try to keep on moving and not worry about things like that

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our small group of several hundred 45+yo coaches, we routinely (like one next weekend) run a ladies driving school. In these, we recruit those ladies that do to teach the others. It is not just driving, it is about everything you need to know to manage the coach. Start up checklists and all of that. I am proud that Mary is one of the instructors, but it has just occurred to me that she may need to know more. I think we need to arrange more training. Both for me on the house hold books, and her on how to deal with a 48yo coach that we love.

I'm not sure why this took so long. A sailing couple friends of ours had a time when he went not quite overboard. He was in the water, and hanging from something by a foot. She was able to control the boat and still manage to arrange to get him back aboard. The situation is very parallel.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 02:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has always been able to do anything and everything I can do other than troubleshoot electrical. In fact while I'll do ~80% of the driving I let her do ~90% of the parking because she's simply better at it than I am and I'm better at giving clear directions. Should something happen to me she knows every part of the teardown and setup process and she's mentally tough enough that she'd make it through if need be.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife knows how to do everything and has watched me... but reading this makes me realize she's never really done everything on her own.

We are usually plenty busy with our "jobs" arriving and leaving a campsite. I keep thinking that I should have her do more with the hitching and towing, but I usually forget until after everything is done.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.