Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Since my post is gone I suppose you thought something was wrong with my helping a woman in distress without thinking she had an ulterior motive. Why don't you PM me with what was wrong with my post?

You were the innocent victim. I deleted the post where the person was a jerk to you. I also deleted your response so it wouldn't look like you were arguing with yourself. Your post didn't make sense otherwise.

Your original post about being helpful is still there. And for what it's worth, I admire what you did.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2halfs

CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prepared for....or not prepared for,

It really doesn't matter,the fact is if a spouse dies while out RVing you will not emotionally be able to rely on your own abilities to get back to where home is.

You will need support of family and or friends.

Even if you are able to set up a rig, break it down and drive you are not going to be able to do this in the urgent presents of a emergency medical issue or death.

Now for a minor emergency as some have mentioned in this posting, yes it is reasonable to have knowledge and the ability to pack and leave the location.

Our situation....upon a death, we would rely on family help.
For a medical situation.....I may not be able to do the physical work of preparing the rig to drive home but I can talk anybody else through it.

Family and friends are very important support people and can get you through anything.

This was a good question, a time to think, yet a time to realize yes life is short but we should not stop living for fears.

Denise

Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife doesn't like driving the truck by itself let alone with the trailer hooked up.

As mentioned it doesn't have to be a spouse passing to get the other spouse in a situation where they need to get home on there own. Last December my wife, son and I were on the Oregon coast with my parents, both in the 70's. During the trip my parents rolled their side by side on the dunes. My dad was airlifted to a hospital in Eugene and mom was taken to a hospital about 30 minutes south of where we were camping. Mom was released later that night, but dad spent a couple months in Eugene before being brought back home to Tacoma for rehab. Although mom would normally be okay driving the truck and trailer because of here injuries and her emotional state she wasn't up to it. It is about a six hour drive from where we were to home. I towed their trailer to their house with my truck and my wife drove my parent's truck with mom as a passenger. The next day I drove back to the campground and back home with my trailer.

There were several people that offered help if needed, which was nice considering our situation.

Dad is doing okay, but he will not recover to preaccident condition.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Songbirds

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good feedback thanks from everyone who give me feedback as I did read all of them. If anything talking with your spouse about the probability of a life-altering event. Having some kind of family fallback system is a good option if you have other loved ones who can help. Each camper should look closer at the other's duties and ask questions about how and why they do what they do. Being open with each other is not easy when one partner is in complete and total denial.

My wife asked me sometime back as we live in Florida and our daughter is in Utah. what would I do if something happened to her? WOW, I thought I would go first. After some thought I know it would be hard for my daughter with us being so far apart. I'm not much for the cold, but I think it best to be closer to her so she won't worry so much and will handle it as we go, until then, But we're talking and that is the START for a Happy ending to one's life story. Family or NO Family you need to talk about these possible issues.

Thanks for SHARING

* This post was edited 09/19/21 07:06am by Songbirds *

2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston you are excused. Sorry

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think my wife would simply tie me to the roof and carry on with her vacation.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we picked up our new TT, my wife was the one front and centered asking questions. I kept my mouth shut unless I had a question, and she repeated it until she was comfortable. We'll go through the same routine with our 5th wheel, but we'll both be learning. Going to do a much better job of creating checklists this time around

2halfs

CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think my wife would simply tie me to the roof and carry on with her vacation.

I love a sense of humor to make light of serious talk.

Denise

Campersam9

Bucks County

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lung cancer just went into stage two. I have a leg with DVT and a fib. My wife will drive the car home. The camper she is to donate it. I want to spend as much time traveling all over the USA I don’t care. What do you want to sit at home and die? Life is what you make of it. I was told in 2005 give up the rv lifestyle. Just one thing I miss when traveling is my grandchildren. Our two English Setters are always with us. Never worry about tomorrow live for today. Make a new friend at a campground. One day you will meet them again.

2halfs

CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campersam9,

I am betting most of us share your thoughts.

You are right, living is for now.

For some it is a good idea to think/ plan ahead. Some of us function better that way. Others not.

I am happy to hear that you made your choices by what makes you most happy.

Missing grandkids....thank goodness for today's technology, it makes it much easier for all of us to stay in touch. I hope you are loaded with video conversations and photos.

Love your spirit and keep on RVing.

Denise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.