Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As one that lived through (survived) two wives passing away already (and I'm only 52)..... I've dealt with a lot of the brutal emotions, heartache, and chaos of losing someone close to you. And, all the difficult things you have to do as the surviving spouse afterward. When it feels like your life is shattered to pieces and you are stuck in neutral while everyone else is moving on around you like nothing happened. Been there, hope I never have to go through that again.

Granted, I never had it happen while camping, that would be a whole nother story. Cheryl (wife) pretty well knows how everything works with our Class A, and is fine with driving it (and she does quite a bit). She wanted to learn, know from day 1 how it all worked when we first got married 2 years ago. I have complete confidence that she could easily break camp completely and get the rig home, if something was to happen to me. She might need a little help here and there, but she would handle it.

But, man, oh man, I don't want to even think about her having to go through that. I've told her many times how brutal losing someone that close to you is, I don't wish that on my worst enemy.
I never, ever want her to have to go through that. We gonna have to leave this world together at the same time, or she gonna have to go first.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

FMCA for several reasons, chief among them is the FMCA Assist program. This is, basically, an insurance policy that provides medical evacuation/repatriation, emergency medical reunion, return of mortal remains, return of dependents, vehicle return, and several other benefits. This plan puts me much more at ease should anything happen to either one of us.

This is provided with the membership cost to FMCA.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campersam9, Yes!! So well said.

The wife knows how to do everything, including driving the RED. On long trips to see folks, she and I switch off driving. When I was working and traveling for work she took the rig, with our camping group and went camping. If I were to break something, she could get us, including the RED, home.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And what may I ask is a RED? In my world RED is a rear engine dragster!!!

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

And what may I ask is a RED? In my world RED is a rear engine dragster!!!

Sorry! We have a Tiffin, Allegro RED, 37BA.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just goes to show you never know. I thought this thread was about a spouse who died and was left at the campground.

Rick Y

Vancouver not BC, Washington not DC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to my precarious situation and high-risk life style (I frequently sass my wife and 'forget' to do assigned tasks) my wife early on made sure she was capable of doing everything necessary to break down camp and get home by herself. In fact I have come back to the camp from taking a solo hike to find that she decided to run a drill and had left. So, as regards the RV portion, she is well trained and able.

In regards to disposition of my body, once again, planning ahead pays dividends. She bought an extra-large gas propane fire pit. Her plan, she tells me, is to simply cremate me on the spot. She did, however, give me some input on her plan. She has agreed to spread my ashes on the floor of our local Eddie Bauer outlet store. This way I know she will come frequently to visit me.

Rick & Karen
2003 Bigfoot 27DSL Class C, Banks intake/exhaust, Blue Ox Ft/Rear sway bars & TruCenter steering, Soltek solar panel
2021 Ford Ranger named "Lil Toe"
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar with Invisibrake
Robore Prudentia Praestat

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an old thread, worth reading & pertains to this one.

"Getting 5th Wheel Home"

~

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Y wrote:

Due to my precarious situation and high-risk life style (I frequently sass my wife and 'forget' to do assigned tasks) my wife early on made sure she was capable of doing everything necessary to break down camp and get home by herself. In fact I have come back to the camp from taking a solo hike to find that she decided to run a drill and had left. So, as regards the RV portion, she is well trained and able.

In regards to disposition of my body, once again, planning ahead pays dividends. She bought an extra-large gas propane fire pit. Her plan, she tells me, is to simply cremate me on the spot. She did, however, give me some input on her plan. She has agreed to spread my ashes on the floor of our local Eddie Bauer outlet store. This way I know she will come frequently to visit me.
[emoticon]

egh33

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never been in a camp site that for any emergency there are always some one very willing to help. Most helpful folks there is. You don't even have to ask. Let one person know and there will be more help than you need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Spouse left behind after death at a Campsite, what to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.