cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Disconnect Switch ??

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Have an older 2001 Coachman Catalina Sport. The Battery Disconnect Switch has an in-use and store switch. It is a Interellec BDO. The in-use selection does not engage, activate, or turn on. Just replaced the DC battery today with a New battery. Same results! Hope this helps?

Any an all assistance would be appreciated. Thank you very much. KK USAF 62-66
13 REPLIES 13

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There should be two wires providing the 12 volts to a six pin switch. two wires leave switch going to latching relay. the opposite corner spins on switch should be connected together.
You can do it at relay small posts

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Another way to test is to put a volt meter, set to 20 volt DC scale, between the two small terminals, have helper hold switch in one position. Meter should read voltage either positive 12 volts DC or negative, then have helper hold in other position. Meter should read 12 volts DC with opposite polarity.

After the switch is removed there will be the two small terminals you mentioned. That will tell me I should be getting 12 volts DC both ways? Positive and Negative. Good idea ... I'll see what I can do by myself. Thanks for sharing.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
kioticoachman wrote:
bobndot wrote:
Make sure the connections on the relay solenoid are clean. The solenoids are not expensive, i would buy a new one and try it. Its a common enough fix in these systems, if that doesn't help, keep it as a spare. Its a good part to have on hand.

I'm presuming that the relay solenoid, you mentioned, is located in the battery compartment under the step to the right with the cable connections.

Had a SC moment ... Maybe this might help, and I should of mentioned this before but with the generator running the battery connect switch will activate. However the DC/Coach power does not activate otherwise.

Will check this out further ... Thanks for the suggestion.

is this a new issue? otherwise sounds like the solenoid switch is wired to the wrong side of the solenoid, sounds like its getting power from the converter side, when it should be powered by the battery side.

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Make sure the connections on the relay solenoid are clean. The solenoids are not expensive, i would buy a new one and try it. Its a common enough fix in these systems, if that doesn't help, keep it as a spare. Its a good part to have on hand.

I'm presuming that the relay solenoid, you mentioned, is located in the battery compartment under the step to the right with the cable connections.

Had a SC moment ... Maybe this might help, and I should of mentioned this before but with the generator running the battery connect switch will activate. However the DC/Coach power does not activate otherwise.

Will check this out further ... Thanks for the suggestion.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
if this is the unit im thinking of, it has a fuse itself on the solenoid itself, has that been checked and or does the led glow on the disconnect switch?

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Pull switch from the wall, check for 12 volts DC
No power, check for blown fuse.
Cycling is operating from one function to the other and back. Like you did.

Checked all the fuses that power the coach and all are good.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Another way to test is to put a volt meter, set to 20 volt DC scale, between the two small terminals, have helper hold switch in one position. Meter should read voltage either positive 12 volts DC or negative, then have helper hold in other position. Meter should read 12 volts DC with opposite polarity.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Pull switch from the wall, check for 12 volts DC
No power, check for blown fuse.
Cycling is operating from one function to the other and back. Like you did.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Battery connected corectly< polarity?
Did you try cycleing switch?
relay

Polarity is correct. Not sure on what/how you mean by cycleing switch as I have tried switching from use to store a number of times. Will check out that relay link you posted. Thanks for info sent. KK

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
new battery must be fully charged for things to work put a separate charger on the new battery then try .

Current battery voltage is 12.5V

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Battery connected corectly< polarity?
Did you try cycleing switch?
relay

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
new battery must be fully charged for things to work put a separate charger on the new battery then try .