Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New Truck question(s)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck question(s)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

You need something with the 10 speed transmission.

And then, apples to apples, it will pull in a lower gear as well. Probably 7th 8th or 6th.
OP don’t fixate on towing in top gear. And fwiw your truck doesn’t give up much at all to any new 3/4 ton gasser for towing power.
My 3.5 Ecoboost tows my 7600 lbs trailer in 7th gear rarely, 8th gear frequently, 9th gear mostly, 10th gear more often than 7th. At least 90% of the time it's in an Overdrive gear.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer is about 6500 lbs. My 7 year old truck with 3.92 gears and an 8 speed, has 395 hp. I haven't towed in Colorado, but routinely tow up and down various mountain passes in the west. I can maintain the speed limit anywhere, and still have pedal left. Of course, the RPMs are occasionally up there quite a ways, but the engine is singing, not screaming. On the flats, I'm usually in 7th gear, sometimes 8th. The trailer is easily within the capacity of the truck and tows very well. I can't imagine your GM being much different. If you have issues, unless your truck is genuinely wore out, you should be able to correct what ails it easily enough. Unless you intend to upgrade the trailer (or carry additional payload) in the future, an HD is pure overkill and a waste of money. JMHO of course.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the continued responses.

I have narrowed my search to either a new Sierra 1500 6.2L or Sierra HD 6.6L (I was looking at the Ford 7.3L, which, all things being equal, is quite a bit cheaper than the Sierra HD, but I figure it is overkill).

I must admit, though, I am not super comfortable about the 6.2 having DFM, especially after GM's issues with AFM when it came out.

Thanks again,

Marv

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Key word being “after”
The afm problems are so 10 years ago.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Ford will give you the added gears in the transmission you were looking for while the GMC 6.6 gas is still stuck with the 6 speed. I have the 6.0 gasser and the six speed which for me is fine. The new trucks with the 6.6 gasser will only have a 3.73 rear end and what GM is saying is that the larger engine makes up for the gears. I preferred to have the 6.0 with the 4.10 until GM figures out what transmission they want to put in the newer trucks. The Ford may surprise you with what you want at a lower price than the GMC. Overkill may be a good thing with an RV.
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 1500 will have a smaller fuel tank , unless they can give you a bigger one. Thats a killer on long trips.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, from Curly above!

Unless you are just stuck on brand loyalty, the Ford 7.3 is a much better option, and you say "all things equal, quite a bit cheaper than Sierra".

Jerry

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Currently, pulling at 63-64-ish" You don't need to go the speed limit ever. You are hauling at a good rate now. We tow at 68 now and even though the truck doesn't care if we did 80, I do. Stay at the current lower speed for safety sake.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Good info, from Curly above!

Unless you are just stuck on brand loyalty, the Ford 7.3 is a much better option, and you say "all things equal, quite a bit cheaper than Sierra".

Jerry

Agree, if stepping up to a new HD gasser, GMs would be third on the list currently.
Purely by the numbers, it’s Ford, Ram then GM.
That said after driving 6, 8 and 10 speed trans vehicles ( but not a new 7.3 Ford yet), 8 speeds is enough. 10th is useless for towing and mostly useless in bobtail driving. Truck will pull it but it’s only 150-200 rpms diff from 9th. My not so empirical testing on a 10 speed Chevy is like .1-.2 mpg instant mileage flat road.

The 8 speed Ram trans is a great unit as well and 6.4 + 8HP + 4.10s is a great combo

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, some great continued comments, so thanks for that.

Re the AFM/DFM issue - DFM issues are starting to crop up (and I'll admit I don't know the frequency or numbers, as I think it is new enough technology that no-one really knows at this point) and I just prefer to steer clear.

I am not brand loyal (have owned a Ram truck, a Ford truck and two GMCs), so will go with whichever one gives the best option for our current and anticipated needs.

Re "overkill", I've actually mulled over the Ford 7.3 more lately and am starting to look more favourably at that.

And, regarding travelling speeds, currently, due to the wife's work commitment, travelling (in normal times) to see our grand-daughter in Denver, means that our time is constrained, which requires as few days driving as possible so visit time is maximized. It's 24 hours driving time one way, done over three days, so no dilly dallying. In a few years when she retires, the situation will be more relaxed. So I am looking at a new vehicle which can handle that work, among other attributes.

Marv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck question(s)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.