Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New Truck question(s)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck question(s)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good day,

As my current truck has reached it's retirement, I am beginning to look at a new vehicle.

We have a relatively small trailer (22' and about 5k lbs loaded) and have been towing it with a GMC Sierra, 6.2L, 6spd, 373. On short trips it has been a fine combo.

However, since the birth of a grand-daughter in Denver Co, we have spent every vacation driving back/forth from BC, Canada, via various interstates, with speed limits at 60/70/80, depending on location. And anticipate this will continue for a good number more years.

Currently, pulling at 63-64-ish, I put it in 5th, as in 6th it will constantly downshift at even the slightest incline/overpass. Much (like 80%) of the route is like this. Of course, up hills/mountains is understandably different.

I am considering going up in size to a 2500 or 3500 with the 6.6L gas, not diesel (may upgrade trailer in future), and am wondering if this would allow pulling in overdrive, rather than in 5th, during those long straight stretches. I am also considering the Ford 7.3 but think it may be a bit overkill for my needs, although it remains an option.

Any other thoughts would also be welcome.

Many thanks,

Marv

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th gear is also an overdrive in that transmission. So you are technically towing in overdrive, just not the highest one.
You're current engine is rated 420 Hp and 460 lb/ft. The 6.6L is rated 401 HP and 464 lb/ft. So, you're not gaining anything but the power peaks are at a lower RPM which is nice.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need something with the 10 speed transmission.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6.6 GM or 7.3 Ford gassers will still downshift in the same situation. Maybe even more so....less hp same torque and a heavier gross weight truck. Use a lower gear where the tranny won't downshift all the time.
Now if your going to upgrade to a heavier trailer then a 3/4 tom makes sense.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear in the first instance. My current truck is ten years old and is rated at 403 hp and 417 lb/ft. Which is why I was curious if the added lb/ft in the 6.6L would resolve the question I posed, or if it would benefit from a higher hp, more than the increase in torque.

As mentioned, my truck pulls fine for most applications, it's just when we are out on the interstates and extremely long distances that I wish for a wee bit better performance.

Marv

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing zealot and JIMNLIN,

I guess you posted while I was replying to KD4UPL.

I must really not understand trucks and towing. I often read comments about guys towing a zillion pound trailer down the highway at 65+ mph, with little effort. I just presumed the bigger HD truck/motor they describe would pull a small trailer like mine with ease, even at interstate speed.

I'll have to do some more learning.

Marv

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do you care about towing in 6th gear? Those gas engines will be happiest towing in 5th. Pick you speed, 62mpg or 78mph, but 5th gear for the GM engines. One benefit of the 2500 is the larger fuel tank (and range).

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2020 Chevrolet Bolt

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3/4 ton, bigger engine, more years in the transmission, you will love it !

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the Peak ho and torque numbers are similar between your 6.2 and the motors in the hd trucks, if you look at the torque curve, you get lots more torque at lower rpms.
I wa awaiting for the 2020 Chevy hd to come out, but I think Chevy messed up staying with a 6 spd. In all the comparisons, the Ford 7.3 handles loads much better. But if you stick with a similar size trailer, the 7.3 may not be needed, but it’s priced similar to the others.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

You need something with the 10 speed transmission.

And then, apples to apples, it will pull in a lower gear as well. Probably 7th 8th or 6th.
OP don’t fixate on towing in top gear. And fwiw your truck doesn’t give up much at all to any new 3/4 ton gasser for towing power.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck question(s)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.