cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up second AC with 50 amp service

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has 50 amp service. Should the second AC unit be wired on the same line as the first AC unit or on line 2. I hope l am making myself clear. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Skipg wrote:
Should the second AC unit be wired on the same line as the first AC unit or on line 2.

Opposite leg as the other A/C. Is your RV pre-wired for a second A/C?
Generally an RV that is set up for 50 amp would be pre-wired for a second A/C if it doesn't already have dual A/C units.

It's pretty easy to install a rooftop A/C unit as seen in this video.
The hard part is getting it up on the roof
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The 2nd A/C is usually connected to the other hot leg. But it all comes down to how the rig is currently wired. The loading on the two hot legs should be fairly closely balanced. If, for example, the 1 A/C is on hot leg 1; and the water heater, converter, microwave, fireplace, bathroom outlet where a hair dryer would likely be plugged in are on hot leg 2, then it would be better to connect the 2nd A/C also to hot leg 1. Two A/Cs would pull less than 30 amps, well within safe loading for a 50 amp breaker.

On the other hand, if hot leg 1 had the A/C, water heater, and converter, then by all means the 2nd A/C should be on hot 2.

Look at your circuit breaker labeling and see (if you can) the current power distribution and then decide where to wire the 2nd A/C.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You want to balance the legs as much as possible. I'd put the ACs on opposite legs. I'd put the electric water heater and the microwave on opposite legs.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The second A/C should be connected on the opposite leg from the first A/C.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate