cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New AC

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
So it looks like my 20 year old coach is needing a new rear air conditioner which one should I buy
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog
6 REPLIES 6

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
From what I've heard lately about air conditioner availability, I'd probably buy the first one I could find in stock and make it work.:)

Took the words out of my mouth.

Good luck finding anything in stock.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've heard lately about air conditioner availability, I'd probably buy the first one I could find in stock and make it work.:)
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Have who yu buy from check compatibility with 20 year old controls and wiring. And install a higher output HEAT PUMP. Size of openings are pretty standard. 20 year old AC the whole of it probably should be replaced. Higher output units also make sure your generator and breakers are sufficient. We installed a front, not main heat pump with a higher output unit on our Revolution. RV Tech located a Coleman who bought out our heat pump mfg years ago, a unit compatible with our existing thermostat that integrates and coordinates heat pumps and furnaces. Not more than 800.00 total. They had to re do it once as the drain line was pouring water into the coach. New larger Heat Pump, newer tech, and the thing nearly froze us out in July in Kingman, Az. Had to more closely set the thermostat. The sensor for the thermostat was right near a 12 volt amp over third seat and the heat would keep the heat pump cranking while we froze.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect that you will not find the same model #. Also is it ducted or ceiling intake. Will your old thermostat work with new unit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you replace with a like unit *Same make and model* you have the easiest job. Remove ceiling (intake) grill and filter. Unplug an umbicial or two, remove 4 bolts.. go topside (Take new Roof unit with you it's about 90 pounds)

Remove roof top unit and gasket
Clean
Lay down new gasket
Lay roof top unit on top
Partner hollers directions so it lines up
4 Bolts
A plug or two
Replace intake
Done

If you change makes you may need to replace the control electronics and the lower unit. the only thing you likely will NOT need to replace is the center unit (The ducting part) Go ith a 15K unit not a 13.5.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you buy the same model as you have, you can save a couple of bucks by not purchasing the lower unit (control).