cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I Use Gear Oil On Dual Cam

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Can I use an 80W90 gear oil to lubricate the trunnion pivot points & cams on Reese Dual Cam? Reese says grease on cams is okay if close to 1200lbs hitch weight. I'm about 1,150lbs. Thanks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
8 REPLIES 8

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I used Vaseline on my Straight Line dual cam for the entirety of my ownership as Reese suggested. Zero problems. The bonus was an easy removal and cleanup with shop rags after every trip.

Regarding snapping, popping and clunking. Only sounds I ever heard like that was when making turns. No effect on the trailer or the hitch.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arn wrote:
I currently use wheel bearing grease on ball & trunnions as well. I tried Reese's recommendation of Vaseline on the cams without much success. Sometimes when turning the friction is so great that it sounds like something is breaking & the "pops" are so violent they seem to shake the trailer. Next up, white lithium grease. Thanks.

Whereas, Vaseline on the cam surfaces works very well for me. For several trips before needing to be reapplied.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Follow Reeseโ€™s guidelines IMO. Iโ€™d use grease.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned gear lube is very pungent...

A plastic squeeze tube of the waterproofest grease you can find would be a reasonable choice.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know why anybody would even think of using anything that smells as rear-end grease if anything else would work.

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use wheel bearing grease on ball & trunnions as well. I tried Reese's recommendation of Vaseline on the cams without much success. Sometimes when turning the friction is so great that it sounds like something is breaking & the "pops" are so violent they seem to shake the trailer. Next up, white lithium grease. Thanks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I used regular wheel bearing grease on the ball and trunnions. I used a small dab of white lithium on the cams. just enough to stop the noise of the bars passing over the cams. My tongue weight was 1200lbs/

BTW, when the time comes you can flip/flop the cams side to side so you can then use the unused bottom side as the new cam surface. for me that was about 10 years which was about 20k miles.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil is too thin and will run off. Use grease.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB